What to do first?

lookitsll

So I recently started making beats and was just wondering for hiphop/rap beats what do you generally create first?
Melody, then bassline, then kicks/drum pattern, then play around with it some more? Or how does the whole process work?
Also, would you say it's just repetition in getting better? Practice makes perfect? Or should I read a tutorial somewhere?

what ever part you hear first. I dont even think about it anymore. I just play around until a idea pops up

Yea I wouldn't think that way or you'll get no where and it will slow your work flow down.
Let inspiration come to you. wether it's drums, melody, progression, a sample and work from there. Don't have a formula, just experiment and go from there.

it all varies on where to start...it's however you feel...one method that may work for one person may not be the best for the other...

whatever comes to mind first work on that...experiment, practice...and soon you will find your own work flow :)

What happens if you start a beat, have the kick pattern down along with the melody down and then you're stuck? Nothing I try out goes with the melody/kick pattern.

Usually melodies but just depends on my mood, sometimes ill just sit and mess with a drum loop for an hour and then go into melodies. No right or wrong way.

it varies from person to person, even for me usaully its different everytime, like start off with drums and percussions, or i start off with a melody and a lead ect ect, its different for all
BUT I SAY THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT IS THE BEST WAY ITS FUN FOR YOU

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

also its good to have some idea of song structure like build up drop melody chorus intro outro ect

What everyone else has said: Let it come naturally to you! I remember I was fixated on what others did and what everyone else's process was and I still find it interesting and like to learn about it but at the end of the day your head is your most important piece of hardware, learn to use it like how it needs to be used, let it work it's own stuff out.

But for whatever it's worth, usually (usually) I started with the pads or the bass line and I start to feel the groove. I think more in melodies and basslines so I usually need something to inspire my beats.

Good luck!

What everyone else has said: Let it come naturally to you! I remember I was fixated on what others did and what everyone else's process was and I still find it interesting and like to learn about it but at the end of the day your head is your most important piece of hardware, learn to use it like how it needs to be used, let it work it's own stuff out.

But for whatever it's worth, usually (usually) I started with the pads or the bass line and I start to feel the groove. I think more in melodies and basslines so I usually need something to inspire my beats.

Good luck!

it's usually a good idea to start with the pads/chord progressions...from this a lead can be derived and basslines as well...then it's up to the drums to get things really popping off...

so OP, this this method and see if it works for you...try to come up with a good chord progression and then from this you can extract a lead melody and basslines...

For me personally I have to start with the melodies and then the things derived from it (bass, drums), as I feel the drumline and bassline should serve a theme, not drive it... I usually do it with both piano and voice to quickly get chord progression and catching melody with rhythm.
As for the improvement, practice, experiment, do happy mistakes and watch some tutorials, but watch the ones that really benefit you, i.e. provide information or workflow ideas for exactly the things you want to improve in. And don't take them as seriously as they sometimes try to appear :D

Last edited:
Back