What chords have a mellow feeling to them?

the original content comes from 1806 - a time when it was still common to use just intonation as the tuning standard often as not

in this day and age of equal temperament electronically stable tuning these associations are little more than figments of our imagination

in addition the associations detailed are for keys not individual chords

What chords have a mellow feeling to them?
Lol. Feelings are so subjective.

any - its how you play them not what they are
I will always quote Bandcoach! Very intelligent & extremely helpful.

If you're looking for a specific "chord", that chord will always be I (Roman Numeral One).
Hit chords IV or V then return to chord I and you have a "mellow chord".

You follow?
Me neither.

I think you're looking for mellow keys.
:)

Check out this page below, it's my constant reference guide to keys & their associated moods

Characteristics of Musical Keys

Last edited:
Check out this page below, it's my constant reference guide to keys & their associated moods

I don't agree with this at all. If you create a mellow song, then transpose it up or down a semitone, it will still sound just as mellow.

Most of the mood in music comes from which order chords are played in. Major chords sound happy, minor chords sound sad and diminished chords are dissonant, but most of the mood in your music comes from the sequencing of chords.

Here are some things I might do personally if I wanted to make some 'mellow' chords- bearing in mind that this is subjective.

- End the chord sequence on chord IV, then resolve to I (plagal cadence?)
-Make chords I or IV maj7 or maj 9 chords
-Make chords ii and vi min9 chords
- Use sus4 chords for chord V
-Substitute chord IV for a minor chord (iv)

That's just a very short list. The best thing to do is to sit down at a piano and play some chords until you find a sequence you like.

Lol. Feelings are so subjective.

I will always quote Bandcoach! Very intelligent & extremely helpful.

If you're looking for a specific "chord", that chord will always be I (Roman Numeral One).
Hit chords IV or V then return to chord I and you have a "mellow chord".

You follow?
Me neither.

I think you're looking for mellow keys.
:)

nice of you to quote the same text from 1806 as sansansan did, to which I respond again

"1806 was a time when it was still common to use just intonation as the tuning standard often as not

in this day and age of equal temperament electronically stable tuning these associations are little more than figments of our imagination

in addition the associations detailed are for keys not individual chords"

as for the rest of your response - the question of what are some mellow chords is so fraught with incomplete overtones (yes i did use that pun) as to what an individual considers to be mellow as well as the basic idea that the op would seem to be asking "what sequence or progression of chords (i.e. movement) is mellow?" to which the answer is just as vague and inconsistent

listen to Manhattan Transfer doing Body and Soul and you get one kind of mellow in the first few chords but then it begins to wander into more jagged harmonies

Last edited:
any chord. All you gotta do is learn what sound you want and be creative. there uis no shortcut

Back