What is an 8O8?

nowicki222

Guys I know its probably something real basic, but I really don't know. What is an 8O8. I think its like some kind of drum sound but please explain. THX

well its a few things

its the time of day, not once, but TWICE in one 24 hour period, its amazing

its a kick drum with a lot of low end, same one in baby got back, or more recently anything mannie fresh does

its also what yo mom whispers to me "guttys got that 8 OOOOOOOOOO 8, and i love it!!!!"

its half the title of kanyes new album

The Roland TR-808 is a drum machine, the Sub Bass Kick off of the machine was named after it a.k.a. that bass you hear in almost all of Lil' Jon's songs.

yea, its the whole drum kit, as kyng said from a tr808, and any of the original sounds out of it would be 808's

More for those that want to know:
It came out in the early 80's and is pure synthesis, unlike the drum machines of today that are based on samples. Much of early hip hop and 80's dance music used TR-808 generated rhythms. Then along cam the Emu SP-12 and SP-1200 which was a sampling drum machine and hip hop traded in the synthesized beats for grimy low bit drum samples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-808
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx3d4Maty5k
Get a sampled kit HERE

roltr808ad.gif

Last edited:
nowicki222 said:
Guys I know its probably something real basic, but I really don't know. What is an 8O8. I think its like some kind of drum sound but please explain. THX

It is a popular early 80's drum machine that was made by Roland.

Ironically, It actually wasn't too popular when it came out because it sounded synthetic compared to drum machines that used samples such as the Linn Drum.

But overtime people started to grow to it because it had a unique sound. A real thin but snappy snare, A fake sounding clap, An even faker but melodic sounding cowbell, Cheap sounding percussion, and a Kick that showed off expensive car stereos because of its ability for its dominant low frequency to boom. Ever hear (808 boom)?

The 808 became extremely popular in Rap, it is almost like what the distorted electric guitar is in Rock.

The 909 (a different drum machine) is more popular in techno (pretty much their staple drum machine), although you hear it in some rap also and vice versa.

Usually now though 808 has become slang for Low end boom. Many people refer to any sub booms in a system as an 808 when it could actually be other things like a Sub bass patch for instance created on any synth.

It is a popular early 80's drum machine that was made by Roland.

Ironically, It actually wasn't too popular when it came out because it sounded synthetic compared to drum machines that used samples such as the Linn Drum.

But overtime people started to grow to it because it had a unique sound. A real thin but snappy snare, A fake sounding clap, An even faker but melodic sounding cowbell, Cheap sounding percussion, and a Kick that showed off expensive car stereos because of its ability for its dominant low frequency to boom. Ever hear (808 boom)?

The 808 became extremely popular in Rap, it is almost like what the distorted electric guitar is in Rock.

The 909 (a different drum machine) is more popular in techno (pretty much their staple drum machine), although you hear it in some rap also and vice versa.

Usually now though 808 has become slang for Low end boom. Many people refer to any sub booms in a system as an 808 when it could actually be other things like a Sub bass patch for instance created on any synth. Most 808s you hear on todays records are most likely samples of a real one, because the real ones were limited in playability and tweakability (step sequencer only, limited editing functions). And the original machines are more collectors items which would sell for about $2000 minimum for a working one in decent condition (probably a lot more for a mint condition one).

Last edited:
The Beat Pharmacy said:
Yea they all come from the Roland tr808 this isn't rocket science.

No **** but first reply was "its a kick drum with a lot of low end, same one in baby got back, or more recently anything mannie fresh does"

8 o 8 drum

The origins of the term 8O8 was old time slang for the configuration of the drum set.....snare,tomtom...Base...tomtom,floor tomtom. Just lean the 8s over and keep the O in the middle....makes perfect sense.

its that dirty south kinda drum

Ah, the comeback of ignorance. I'd started to miss you already...

...what I'm saying is that I just hate when someone skips through a thread where the actual answer is already very specifically given and then sort of negates it all with some kind of a half-assed half-truth - it just feels like you're ignoring everyone else.

Ah, the comeback of ignorance. I'd started to miss you already...

...what I'm saying is that I just hate when someone skips through a thread where the actual answer is already very specifically given and then sort of negates it all with some kind of a half-assed half-truth - it just feels like you're ignoring everyone else.

Agreed. Especially when said thread was necro'd from 2008. Pay attention to previous posts and their dates people. Unless you're adding useful information, don't necro an old thread.

Back