Wet vs Dry Sound Design Samples...???

Chew_Bear

So...I am starting to get a really good feel for my DAW and starting to notice a sound design work flow that I like. When in a sound designing session to create and record one shot samples or loops for use later...

Should I make my samples WET or DRY...? I take it there are 2 different routes right...?

Either I leave them dry so I can process them later however I wish/like with effects...OR...Process them now and make them wet with whatever effects I like.

I like the aspect of leaving them dry so that it leaves me some freedom to do whatever I like down the road...But on the downside it tends to make the samples sound/feel boring and lifeless and doesn't inspire me to feel like using them in songs.

On the other hand...Making them wet with effects right away seems to make them feel/sound more like 'completed samples' that you get in sample packs and can therefore start using right away for a song.

Confused...?! What do I do...? What do you guys do...?

The only problem would be if you put too many effects on or too much 'verb and you don't like all of that later in your mix; you won't be able to undo the reverb if it is rendered with effects on.

I would save master files as dry. If you need reverb for inspiration, make a second set of files, or, just add some "confidence" reverb on your insert or buss while you work. Then you can adjust the amount as you go (mix while you track).

GJ

Does the BPM in which I record samples at have any affect or bearing on how I will likely use them later...? In other words...will the BPM that I decide to record in have a negative affect on the sample when I try to use it for a specific genre that I like to work in, for example recording in 120bpm but deciding to use it in a 140bpm song...?

What BPM is best for recording samples for 'all-around' use...? Or...Should you always try and record samples in the BPM of the genre/style you like to work in when in a sound design session...?

I use Ableton and Ableton defaults to 120BPM. So I just record any and all samples that I make in 120BPM regardless of how I will end up using the samples later. I figured...120bpm seems like a good middle ground since its not too fast (140 plus) and its not too slow (100 and less).

Last edited:
Back