were to learn to play neo soul,R&B,gosspel,online or other?

D major

I already bought learn and master piano which to tell you the truth sucked as far as music that i wasn't intrested in but good beginning for chords and some scales. I would have gotten the same results out of rocket piano or any other starter piano course but looking for strictly soul,R&B,and gosspel. I have seen that guy on youtube that has the website gosspelmusicians, but he seems real fasted paced and doesn't seem to do step by step stuff instead he plays and looks like he expects us to learn from watching. Were else would i find a real hands on theory,chord proggressions that deal with the type of music im intrested in and will leave out the reading music.Again no music reading for me cause i just dont want it and if people are suggesting more youtube videos please just go away cause all piano lessons on youtube suck.

If you want those soulful type piano lessons then you might have to find a teacher because it's going to take some time. stuff like that isn't for beginners. Ask someone at church to show you some stuff or start looking up some jazz books because a lot of gospel and soul uses Jazz and Blues.

My first jazz lesson when I was 12 began as this....

scales,finger exercises,scales,scales,finger exercises. I swear for 3 weeks we did nothing but that I was getting bored cause I wanted to play stevie wonder and kirk franklin shit.

3 weeks later, He made me learn how to play star spangled banner...NOT even jazz.. lol I almost quit. Enough of me rambling, You have to learn the very very basic before you can continue.

Im 24 and I can play "Ribbon in the sky",etc...but gospel/jazz pianists are freaks that crap on me as much as I can crap on the average producer. DarkChild and B. Cox are some great key guys but they would get murked going up against any decently established gospel/jazz player.

I dont want to be negative,but unless you're 12-15, its gonna be hard to get into that field when most of them started at 7.

Get a teacher,but be prepared to learn nothing but scales,and fundamentals for weeks before you even do a song.

New Neo-Soul DVD

I can vouch for the DVDs at GospelMusicians.com. The demos on YouTube are demos of what you will learn, but if you are motivated enough you can learn it. All of the movements he gives are on documentation with theory books, MIDI files, Audio files, PDFs, and sheet music. I can vouch for him, because it is Me :). I'm that guy on YouTube.

In a month or so I am releasing a new strictly Neo-Soul DVD. For intermediate players you can get it, but for beginners like you, I spell out all of the chords on MIDI, Sheet Music, and pdf documentation.

The clip is online, but can't post a link :(

As someone said previously though, you have to have some sort of foundation of music to understand everything as well.

I have about 6-8 of Jamal's dvd's and i can say that they have helped me tremendously, especially in my gospel/r&b/neo soul type tracks. 2 thumbs up!

I am well into the soulful pianos and rhodes, I love the deep neo soul flava like D'angelo, Dwele etc..

I refused to learn theory at first but it got me no where fast. All I did is learn a few simple scales (no reading) and learned the basics of the Jazz 2-5-1 progression then my playing improved 10 fold.

For soulful chords you need a bit of theory to put you in the right direction, you also need to learn chords especially the 7ths and 9ths. Sorry but there is no other way around it.

Check my link below for some examples of the 2-5-1.

Back