Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ways to add variations to beats?

Thanks

Ways to add variations to beats?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was wondering if I can get any ideas on how I can add variation to my beats. I don't want to be a one trick pony who relies on four/eight bar loops that I just mute parts on every now and again or roll some hi-hats or snares every now and again to add variation to my beats. With this said I was wondering if their are other things I can do or when is it good to implement the things I just mentioned. Seems I mainly add those type of transitional things when I get into the hook and the hook a lot of time is real similar to the verse. I guess what I'm asking is how can I add variation to my beats so they don't get too dry and than also how can I know when to create new patterns or instruments for different parts?

Are these things that a producer has to decide on his own? or is there a method to it?

I'm interested to hear how beat makers think about this, thank you.
    Hello World

Thanks
    Just feel it.. There are no methods or lessons, don't overthink, don't think at all. If you feel it, it's probably all good. So just go with the flow bro!

Thanks
    I need to figure out how to do this as well!
    Sail Ciph, Chief of The GLAD Poet Tribe

Thanks
    When you get a creative block, do something else for 10-30 minutes, take a walk or read something.

Thanks
    It can help to render the rhythm parts to audio after they are at a mature stage. This way you can process bits and pieces of them in varying ways and also mute individual notes/beats out in rhythmic variations. A lot of variety is created when more than one layer has stuff dropping out and coming back in different ways. If you do this right, nothing ever really repeats the exact same way each time it comes around, yet the familiarity of the raw patterns is there enough. When you combine this technique with the other techniques for creating variations, the music gets deeper.

Thanks
    Some ideas:

1. Change key for a section of the song

2. Add some rhythmic variation (Maybe go for a funk feel, bossa feel, swing feel, whatever)

2b. Perhaps alternate the time signature (if you know what you're doing, rhythmically)

3. Add tension to your chords (alterations, extensions)

Just a few ideas that don't involve adding effects or muting/unmuting. How you implement these ideas are up to you.
    Last edited by Pumpthrust; 08-23-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    Only on future producers could someone ask about melody and have two posts which don't mention anything about notes.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pumpthrust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkySoliloquy View Post
    I was wondering if I can get any ideas on how I can add variation to my beats. I don't want to be a one trick pony who relies on four/eight bar loops that I just mute parts on every now and again or roll some hi-hats or snares every now and again to add variation to my beats. With this said I was wondering if their are other things I can do or when is it good to implement the things I just mentioned. Seems I mainly add those type of transitional things when I get into the hook and the hook a lot of time is real similar to the verse. I guess what I'm asking is how can I add variation to my beats so they don't get too dry and than also how can I know when to create new patterns or instruments for different parts?

Are these things that a producer has to decide on his own? or is there a method to it?

I'm interested to hear how beat makers think about this, thank you.
    I also sometimes thought my beat was too dry or so, just by listening to it the beat often sounds pretty boring, mostly because you've been working on it for a couple of hours, then you hear it again and again and again. As soon as somebody raps over it people will listen to the lyrics anyways and to much variation will get the listeners confused. If you work with somebody you will pretty quickly recognize on which parts you should make some variations, that fit the lyrics. If you made some variations beforehand, the rapper / singer has to adapt to your variations and I believe this will be bad for his inspiration because he has to follow certain rules.

Other than that I can feel what you mean, and I thought so as well. What I sometimes do is leave out the drums between verse and hook, and add some arpeggios to my chords or so. nothing fancy, nothing to complicated, but that will already add a little vriation to it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceLeeBeatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First find out how your different, second find out how other people do what they do, third repeat.
    "You can't reinvent the wheel, but your can put your own twist on it!" - Raij

https://soundcloud.com/raijinfinity

Thanks
    If you use Ableton you could try groove pool to give it some swing. Study drum patterns you like and even try lining up your drums with the peaks in your favorite song's wav files (where the drums are hitting)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpthrust View Post
    Some ideas:

1. Change key for a section of the song

2. Add some rhythmic variation (Maybe go for a funk feel, bossa feel, swing feel, whatever)

2b. Perhaps alternate the time signature (if you know what you're doing, rhythmically)

3. Add tension to your chords (alterations, extensions)

Just a few ideas that don't involve adding effects or muting/unmuting. How you implement these ideas are up to you.
    to which I add a slightly more unusual idea

change the scale/mode you are using

for an example see this old post

Scale/mode choice affecting mood
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thread Information