Urgent assistance needed.

Dohovenus

I am the most primitive of "composers," completely new to the world of MIDI sequencing and recording.
I was told that it is possible to do such a thing where one uses a MIDI Keyboard and accompanying software to automatically notate music. That is (in case I'm being unclear), the composer plays upon the keyboard, and the software writes down what he plays in musical notation. Is this true? And if so, what software would I use for this? Is it compatible with all keyboards?

Thanks,

Dohovenus.

Thanks--anything else?

One thousand thanks for your reply. Will Sibelius, Finale, Encore, or Cakewalk do this?

Thanks,

Va'deehm.

All you need is a midi keyboard and some software. Sibelius, Finale, Encore, Cakewalk will all do it. Those programs, IMO, are more for "score writing"- jazz/classical composing. Although they'd be just as helpful for any other style of music I think. Any other program, (Cakewalk Home/pro Studio/audio, Cubase, Logic) would probably be better though for other types of music (anything with audio too).

:)

little computermusic

I once composed a music for modern dance the following way:
I wrote a number of small segments on Finale either by playing notes on my midi keyboard or directly writing notes on the score
I then rearranged them in different orders by cutting, copying and pasting them
Then I let the program play the resulting sequence on my midi keyboard

Back