Understanding ITB Drum/Bass ''Tuning'' - Help Pweeeze

JC Biffro

Hey guys,

So I'm listening to a new song I made and have tested it via 5 different sound sources and all sounded great. For the heck of it, I decided to also use my landlord's iPod dock (have never done before) to demo to my housemate and unlike the other 5 sources, the bass sounded dreadful, like it was off key even though I penciled in the notes following the key of the song.

I'm not at home so can't remember the keys exactly but the key of the song was D and my 808 was playing on D, G and down to B I believe. It sounded terrible when hitting D and E but awesome on B which made me think that maybe B was the right root note to use instead.

I fed the 808 through Edison's pitch detection and it picked it up as recorded in F. :4theloveofgod:

What I need to understand is how I go about ''tuning'' this so it doesn't sound off... Would I first ensure the drum ''hits'' on F (FL defaults this to C), and because it's now hitting on the correct note, I can use a similar sequence as above where I'll then use a sequence of D, E, B via the piano roll? I'm presuming it currently sounds terrible because it was recorded in F, 'hits' on C (default), but is actually playing in 'D' via the piano roll.

Apologies if I've not explained myself clearly. Confusing myself explaining it :(

Last edited:
Find the original pitch of the sample - if you have a hard time hearing it, try pitching it up an octave temporarily, for example - then just play some other instrument over it until you find the right note. Set the root not to whatever the actual pitch is and proceed entering your notes as they should be; if the root's set right, there's no need to think about any "note offsets" to get it right.

I'm going to offer you a tool to help you understand how the nominal pitch (perceived/actual pitch) of your sample/808 translates into any other key center

Transposed pitch→
Nominal pitch↓
C[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]B
CC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]B
C[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BC
DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]
D[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]D
EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]
FF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]E
F[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EF
GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]
G[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]G
AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]A
BCC[sup]#[/sup]/D[sup]b[/sup]DD[sup]#[/sup]/E[sup]b[/sup]EFF[sup]#[/sup]/G[sup]b[/sup]GG[sup]#[/sup]/A[sup]b[/sup]AA[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]

If you click on your 808 and bring up the sample settings, there will be a piano on the bottom of one of the tabs (the Misc. tab I think but I can't think of it off the top of my head) ... just right click on an F note... now your bass drum will be tuned.

No problem ... just remember each 808 is going to be different, so make sure you do it every time you use a bass drum sample and change the root note accordingly.

Hope that helped you bro

Back