triplets and psytrance

Your psy piece will most likely be in 4/4 time, so what's going to happen is you are gonna stick 3 notes in the space where four notes would usally be. Your bassdrum will still stay on every 4th note.
[BASSKICK]
[K---K---K---K---]

But your bassline will probably not. Now, a standered psy bassline is usally a single note played on 16ths.
[16th PSY BASS]
[BBBBBBBBBBBB]
Put the kick with the bass,
[K---K---K---K---]
[BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB]

The time it takes to hear one kick you'll hear four bass notes.
[K---]
[BBBB]

In "triplets" you space the notes out, so you'll hear three bassnotes per one kick.
[K----]
[B B B]

In reason you can swich your rythmic setting from 8ths, to 16ths, to 16thT (t is for triplet). I sure other sequencers can do this to.

Some psy/goa tracks with tirplets.
Juno Reactor - Conga Fury
Juno Reactor - Swamp Thing
Dark Soho - Combustion
Dark Soho - Long Way Home
Infected Mushroom - Disco Mushroom

But it's kinda rare for you to hear triplets, and these are the only artist I know of that use triplets frequently.

I hope I explained it clearly, if not, some one eles may be able to.

Last edited:
hey..
thanks for replying...
ok..
in fruity loops there is something called snap to 1/3 beat...when i use this with a 4/4 time sig i am able to get three notes in a bar of four notes... are these triplets???
i was also wondering about triplets in psy trance leads in a 4/4 time sig...also use of triplets in drumloops...
do artists like parasense and psycho micro use triplets in their leads??
this is off topic ..but anyway..

how are psy trance leads made?? triplets,arpeggios,random??
what sort of note structure is commonly used??

thanks...

Psytrance leads are many and varied. However, I personally haven't messed with Psytrance enough to give a good overview on the "meat and potatoes" of leads.

Psytrance leads, however, follow unorthadox engineering. They can have anything up to additional distortion, acidic screaming, toasty buzzing, and much much more.

This is really a listening game. You need to listen carefully at other music. The list in my other post is a good list. Examine those tracks, and you will probably discover something.

That 1/3 beat is probbly triplets.

Leads are usally very fast, like 16th notes, or in your case 16thT notes. Psy will use just about anything for a lead. Where eruphic trance uses sawtooth waves, psy may use a guitar, harpsicord, music box, or other sample instruments.

You could take a sawtooth wave and put it through a phase filter, and compose a 4 bar melody, maybe try making certain notes very quick.

It is realy hard to discribe this, you should realy listen to the above tracks, you'll understand soon enough.

Yep... that's Euphoric trance for you: alot of saw-tooth...

Psytrance has no set formula whatsoever. It seems that the wierder the instrument and harmonics the better.

They're pretty close (by my definition). There's so many genres and subgenres to trance that it makes my head spin sometimes.

Euphoric trance can be either dark or happy to the point of being sugary-and-poppy. Don't believe it can be dark listen to Euphoria by Trance[]Control and change yo mind fast.

Anthem trance is trance that focuses on a some big buildup that is supposed to be a big "hand raiser". Eventually, the trance goes into this big Chorus that everything progresses to... Often times, especially in recent years, the breakdown in Anthem trance is a drawn out Super-Saw chime that is sometimes very entertaining. Euphoric trance doesn't require this buildup to be considered Euphoric...

That's just my 2 cents on that matter.

Back