Trap Snares

mawst

We all know what an 808 snare is. There's a subtle difference between a raw 808 snare and a "Trap" snare. As a producer, I can't put my finger on it. Yes, I have samples and even specific VSTs that contain the "Trap" snare sound. What bothers me as a producer is that I can't distinguish what the difference is, is it flange, is there compression, what's the deal?

I'd like to make my own Trap snare kits, but I need a frame of reference where to begin manipulating my own raw 808 snares.

Has anyone made Trap snares from raw 808 snares? What methods did YOU use? Any insights?

from what i understand the trap snares are 808 snares. If your looking for that extra snap that i know the trap snares have. you might want to try a transient designer(SPL transient Designer). It might help you get a little more pop in the snares to get that trap sound that your looking for. I have the Sounds in HD 808 kit and the snares in there are pretty savage. Hope this helped.

the trick is to layer different samples for the one hit and to layer them so that they start earlier or later than other samples in the hit: this is why some of these snares sound like they might be flanged when in effect you have a very tight ruff or flam caused by the layered snares hitting at slightly different points.

Even though my fav genre of Hip-Hop is Trap, I personally think 808 snares are very generic and boring. Unless they are mixed in a specific way (i.e. using heavy delay/reverb etc), they don't add any character to a beat whatsoever.

I always try to incorporate more boom bappy snares into my music.

Thanks for response folks, I've been learning alot. I'm actually planning to release my own self made kit for free soon. I'll post a link here when it's ready.

If you want to do it yourself: find the snare that comes closes to your ideal. Find the right pitch, eq, layer with other snares as needed. Use the snare in on a track then mess with the effects.

Quicker way would be to buy a any kit from me (that costs over $10) on ebay or my bangnslap website. Guarantee the sound will be in their including variations and invoations creations and sensations.

Back