Trap/EDM Snare - What snare is this!? :)

schmitty83

Hi, anyone know how to do this?

I'm trying to figure out what snare is used in so many trap/pop/EDM songs lately. It's heard on the "drop/chorus" of songs like "In the name of love" by Martin Garrix, "Don't let me down" by the Chainsmokers, and "Bring back the summer" by Rain Man.
It has a "bucket" sound to it like hitting a drumstick on a bucket. I know it's a snare with a lot of reverb on it and maybe even just an 808 drumkit snare with a clav in the background that hits at the same time as the snare but I'm not sure.
Anyway, I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out. Any tips, answers, or the exact snare name of this snare that they all use?
Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
I do get most of how you describe the snare sound :D.

adding to that...

To me it also sounds like someone dropping a small tin can cover on soild ground.
Also sounds like those thin tiny gongs that you can hear Chinese people play in one of their dragon dances albeit with a shortened tail. #HappyNewYear

Anyway...

I do agree, I think it sounds similar to an 808 or 909 snare with reverb on it. I do hear a few different snare sounds, not sure which one in particular you are pertaining to.

From my perspective, I can easily hear that this can be replicated with a synthesizer and some basic effects. I say this because I hear different pitches of the snare drum so to me the easiest way to do pitch variations is to make the snare sound with a synth that has a noise oscillator can do keyboard tracking. Like Synth1.

It's probably easier to look for samples and process them but I'll try my best to replicate this snare. I'll get back to you when I get it the point where it sounds close enough. If I don't get back to you that means I've given up hahaha.

Peace.

Last edited:
A lot of the character of modern snares comes from an emphasized sine wave pluck (with pitch envelope) somewhere around 200-300Hz ish. If you use a moderate to large amount of pitch enveloping you get the bucket sound, I think.

Intergrating the pluck into the rest of the snare can be tricky though.

that isn't a snare. but you'll find it in the default drum rack or whatever kit your using in your DAW.

basically. an 808 clap. with processing. compression and reverb.

the best snares in the biz come from good DnB and old school funk.

Mmmmmm now that's a crispy crunch!

Go find the right samples. There are tons of sample packs for those types of snares available all over the inter webs. Hit me up and I can point you in the right direction.

Back