TranceGate?

D

DJ Nytestrike

Hey, anyone here ever dinked around with SonicSyndicate Orion? It's got a little FX Insert Called Trance-Gate.

It's a BPM bassed Gate-Limit-Compress that mutes your signal based on the beat. Kind of like the CHOPPER vST Plug-in but way better.

Like if you had a voice or a sweep that went "Aaaaaaaaahhhhh" it would sound like "A-a-a--a-a--a-aaa-a-h-h-h-h-h-h"

Well, I can't export that FX because it's coded into the program itself, so... I was wondering if anyone has heard of any shareware/freeware or commercial plugs that do the same thing, or some kind of way to emulate that kind of effect.

Thank you =)

Not an answer... but...

I know what your looking for because I've heard the same effect. It's a kind of stuttering effect used mainly on vocals right? I heard it used in a song called " Trailer Trash,"by dj Pierre, and I'm also looking for a plugin in that would allow for it. If I find anything, I'll be sure to let you know. By the way, you could probably create this effect on your own, but it would take alot of patience and time. (maybe too much time)

All you would need is a good wave editor like wavelab or something, and a track layout program like Acid Pro. Then you would simply chop up the vocal wav and place the pieces in Acid. It would take alot of time to find the appropriate arrangement of rhythm, but it could be done. After you captured the arrangement you wanted, you'd then could ping pong the wavs out of Acid into one wav, and then bring it back into Acid and apply a volume envelope. I've noticed that most effects of this nature include altering volume levels as well.

Guess I got a little carried away, but I'm just trying to help...

Goodluck... If I find any plugins that can create this affect, I'll be sure to let you know.

good luck

[Edited by DIGITUS on 03-02-2001 at 10:08 PM]

I might be able to program the gate manually thru a sequencer. I've found a similar effect using a highly tweaked out phaser. Not a fruity plug or vst phaser, but the native phaser included with Reason.

icon3.gif
There's a freeware plug out there callled CHOPPER. It does just about the same thing. You can program the BPM and it works with any vst/dirX compatable program. I know that Orion has a similar plug built in. However the plug included with Orion has more 'style & rhythm' to it, whereas CHOPPER doesn't. A-a-a--aaa-a-a vs. a-a-a-a-a-a-a. All in all anything resembling it would be a sweet effect.
icon10.gif
It's used in a lot of songs now.

icon2.gif
One where it really stands out is in a song called "Someone" By Paul Oakenfold.

icon4.gif
The original song I think (I could be wrong )is by Ascencion (spellcheck that...
icon12.gif
) But I've never heard the original mix, so I wouldn't know if that effect was in the original.

Hmmmm...

I have Reason, so I'll have to check it out. I must say that I currently find the program slightly intimidating, but this is probably due to the fact that I currently don't have a midi keyboard. However, I'm looking for one and I plan on placing an order sometime tonight. By the way, thanks for the tips... :)

[Edited by DIGITUS on 03-03-2001 at 02:22 PM]

Reason to live...

Mmm... Reason... I've fallen in love with it. Fruity Loops says she wants to slit Reason's throat... to bad I can't work out a threesome....

Heh, bad analogy.... ;)

u could sample the output of Orion doin' it's thing.
Also, i heard about "gating templates" in software form that i imagine would, when overlaid over a software gater (i think it was in the cubase platform situation) would create cool funk trance stutter to heart's content.
If i find out anything will post more.
Also, could u just do a mixdown in Orion then use that wav in cubase or reason? I haven't tried Orion so i don't know. Is it good in other ways? If only just for that it sounds worthy.

Yeah, Orion's a good soft. It keeps getting funkier and funkier. I like its FX Inserts and Sends.
icon14.gif
Especially that trance gate. I could just try sampling the output raw with no FX such as Phaser and Reverb, that would definatly get me around the problem of the end of the sample having completely different modulation than the beggining of the sample. This wouldn't be much of an issue if the damn thing was ReWire compatible! I could just sync it as a slave program.

Anyways...
icon2.gif

Orion's got some pretty good features on it. It's still pretty cheapy though, in the same league as Fruity Loops 3.

It supports the Piano Roll, Chords, and has its own x3Osc called the Wave Factory, and it's own Sampler, and Mixer, and includes a simple TB303 Bazzline emulator (which reminds me of the TS404), and the WASP synth. On top of this it includes a good 909 emulator and a Drum Sampler that can run loops or individual samples.

Each generator has it's own own step sequencer, and pattern memory, and can all be woven together by using the playlist editor.

Orion also supports live knob tweaks. It can do 99% of everything Fruity Loops can. (I say 99% because I'm sure it lacks one small feature here and there... like the live event editor... The only way is to hit the record button and tweak knobs....)

I'd say it's more of a Fruity/ReBirth hybrid, providing the best of both worlds.
icon10.gif

It looks nowhere near as sleek or sexy as Fruity Loops does, but who cares. ;) Orion does however have a great feature called the Chord Arpeggiator. Ya need a quick arpeggiated lead? Just create a new instrument generator, program a chord and use the Arpeggiator feature. That I find is a definate bonus. Plus it won't lagg you out as much as Fruity Loops 3. Hope that answers your question.
icon10.gif

thanks Nyte, sounds like a good workaround idea there. Must check this little prog out. BTW - have seen an "Orion" vst soft synth around, mite try out a demo version.

I've got another idea. I don't use any software programs so you'd have to figure this one out. I know what your talking about and have thought about how to do that and have come up with some pretty vague ideas. I don't know if this will make sense but find a program that triggers the sound "aahhhhhhhh" and send this signal to a noise gate then have some kind of virtual keyboard that would trigger the noise gate to open when the keyboard is played then you could make any kind of pattern with that stuttering aaahhhhhh that you wanted. Or, you could use a sequencer to program the keyboard i.e. Cubase to open the gate for you.
I really wish that I could explain this over the phone because it would make more sense.

I was thinking the same thing (I think), like routing a sequencer to the sampler. (Mabey with no CV input?) and just having the sequencer trigger just gate levels.

Or I was thinking mabey have the Sampler's signals fed to into my Gate/Limiter/Comp and have the sequencer's Gate-out(with no CV note or curve control) fed to the Gate. This way I could have the seqencer trigger the gate...

Or if i can just get the Sampler to play the notes in 'leggato' fashion instead of retriggering them, I might be able to just program the sequencer's gate-out to trigger the sound of the "ahhhhh" in the right places. I'd just have to feed the Cruve CV to the Sampler and the Gate-out to Gate-in.

Think it'll work? :)

[Edited by DJ Nytestrike on 03-04-2001 at 12:43 PM]

o that's right, there's such a thing as 'key input' on some hardware gates or compressor/limiters...that would do the trick! And i know that heaps of RTAS plug ins i use with Pro Tools have a key input option. imma gonna try this too. vst plugins probably have this option, from people like 'grm tools'.

I bet it'll work, I feel like I've been smokin crack or something for not thinking of it to begin with. ;)

i always see that key input option on the plug in and think, wow, should get that happening, but then forget about it cos i want to sample more drum hits because yet again have tried to use a loop and then want to dis it and just program my own pattern, or want to make coffee, or clean the crack pipe...lol
There's even some plugs that use a hpf key input, so that u could put a drum loop thru there and the hat frequency only will trigger the plug in to open...

Frequency Trigger.

A frequency trigger, you damn genius! Now that might be the key... As I want the Gate to be as rhythmic as possible so it doesn't sound flat.... Mmmm..... Coffee....

Back