trance bass line

dj sawtooth

hi all i was juast wanted to now how to make a good trance bassline and what sythn or programes would be good

i have been useing resons to make drum pattens and puting them in cubase sx and melodys but i cant just get a good trance bass line

You mean only the melody/pattern or also the sound itself ?
And what kind of trance exactly (anthem / progressive / hardtrance/...) ? Can you name a few tracks or artists you like ?

OK here's some tips on trance bassline.

You use reason right? Well the subtractor is good for basslines.

Why don't you try turning up the volume on your subtractor to like 100, then move the filter freq to 34 and then the filter resonace to 16 try that at a low ocatve. That should give you a good sound.

The classix trance basslines is just a 4th note on the off beat at around 135bpm. It sounds good cause the bass and the kick drum aren't going at the same time and it gives the kick the impression that it is more booming. But if you are gonna do a more complex bassline, try not to make it longer then 2 messures. Cause if it is like 5 messures long, it will get borring faster then if it is 2. It sounds weird but basslines don't need to change that much. Though it may be a good idea to have more then one bassline in your track, but anyway. If you make your pattern so that it is not in the same place as your bassdrum, it will sound good.

I.E.
1= kick 2= bass
1 : +---+---+---+---
2 : --++-+---++---+

I know it is a .... diagram, but bare with me, it is hard for me to give tips on basslines with out talking to sombody dractly.

Maybe sombody eles out there is better at this.

a sawtooth is all you need for trance. try layering some sawtooth*16 in the malstroem and detune one a couple of cents. play with the octaves and pitch and filter mod. saws can give you anything from the gritty basslines to euphoric strings.

classic bass pattern -
b = bass
B = bass up one octave
K = kick

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
K b B b K B b B K b B b K B b B

I have found that if you look at some of the Maelstrom patches like "Acid Bass", add a basic Sine wave to the oscillating bank, and then adjust your filters toward the -, there will be a propensity for nice, thick, meaty results...

dj sawtooth said:
hi all i was juast wanted to now how to make a good trance bassline and what sythn or programes would be good

i have been useing resons to make drum pattens and puting them in cubase sx and melodys but i cant just get a good trance bass line

reason's what i use for my basslines (also a trance producer.) it also depends on what kind of bass ur looking (for what particular trance subgenre). for a 16 note bassline (kind of bassline that producer's such as above and beyond, armin van buuren, and i most commonly use) i would use a saw from the subtractor on both oscillators. here's an example of the bassline i'm talking about using the previous diagram example:

1= kick 2= bass low octave 3=high octave

1 : +---+---+---+---
2 : --++-+---++---+
3 : ++--+-+++--+++-

hope u understand that. now after you've tweaked the subtractor to ur liking, add the fx. try to balance out the EQ with the bassdrum (ie. if the BD's EQ at 80Hz is up a little bit, bring the bass down a little bit at 80Hz). compress it and then add some stereo effects with a delay:

1. add two delays, one panned all the way to the left, and one panned all the way to the right.
2. set them both to 0 feedback, and adjust the wet/dry knob to ur liking.
3. i usually set the right delay to 4 steps, and the left to 2 steps, but again u can adjust to your liking.

hope this helps....Elation Nation

www.SoundClick.com/ElationNation

I use the ES2 synth a lot with logic pro 8; it's three oscillators are great for getting the layered bass sounds common in trance. Try layering your original bass line with one that's been high pass filtered to remove low end rumble and boosted between 12-14kHz to add zing. Also route the trance bass line to a compressor whose side chain is controlled by a kick drum so that it breathes with the rhythm of the track.

Last edited:
sorry im new to this what is subtractor and oscillators ? you guys sure sound like yous know what yous are talking about good stuff guys keep it up :)

its a technique used commonly in dance, usually the kick is linked to a pad or bass and the kick is used to compress the other sound when it plays. think of benny benassi's satisfaction where you can hear it on the bassline clearly. gives a nice pumpin effect when setup properly

Last edited:
depends what you use, i'm not a big plug in guy, cause i use reason and my bread and butter. In reason it in the M class equalizer, what I usually do is take a spider splitter n merger, input my kick, split one to my mixer and wire the other to the bass line hooked up to m class compression. Thats a rough example, but play around with it and see what sounds you can make.

Back