Trance Bass??

Sequence2

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some information about using 'bass' sounds in my productions. I have read a lot of different threads where people say they are using bass in various ways for producing trance and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback/ links which help to clarify how to actually use the bass. People say they layer it under their kicks and when I do that I don't really hear the fantastic sound I am suppose too. I have tried to EQ the bass too but having one bass note under each kick in a 4/4 kick pattern doesnt really seem to enhance my track all that well, even with a ton of EQ'ing and with every other sound going on I can hardly even tell that I have this bass under the kick unless I specifically concentrate on it. Thanks!

well what type of bass are you using? if its a sub bass, you do want it under neath your kicks.. since the sub bass obviously operates in the sub-low frequencies...you'd want to cut your kick off around maybe 80-100hz....that really depends what you're working with and what sound you want...but considering the subs usually dominate in the i guess in and below the 80-70hz range, you'd want that range to be solely sub bass...then have your kicks above that...

if its a mid-range bass,with some sub frequencies....it depends how you want it to sound...EQ around the kick's dominant area of the spectrum..so that way the sound still looks like sub bass -> kick -> snare -> mid range bass -> higher end stuff

This is all general, and not necessarily the best way to do anything..I am not a professional by any means..but in general, you dont want the frequencies of any instruments to interfere with one another, so you want to EQ them and fit them in their own little space in the spectrum, like an audio puzzle...

Also check out videos on youtube, about Compression...SIDECHAINING!! and EQ...

I think you could use some knowledge about Sidechaining considering your questions here... In simple terms, it works like a "ducking" effect. When your kick hits, you bass "ducks" down a lil bit to let the kick shine thru... just keep reading, learning, and practicing, and you'll get it

Trance bass is very rhythmic, its has to work with the kicks. A good trance song (or any dance song) is based heavily on the low end as its designed for be played in a nightclub with the specific aim of making people dance.

Back