Tips on playing a bassline over a sample?

M

Mossmade Beatz

Ok to start my music theory is mediocre, I know the scales. I just need help finding the notes and stuff, and figuring out what samples are in what key.

I want to cut the old bass out of the sample using EQ and play in a new bass, what frequencies should I kill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? Will it damage the quality of the rest of the sample? At least explain why, other wise you're being no help at all.

The bass line will not be one single frequency due to the harmonics of the sound and the actual pattern played by the instrument .

With EQing , there will always be parts of it left in , and the process will detract from other instruments occupying the same freqs .

You might have some luck with Melodyne DNA , but that strikes me as an expensive way to do this .

Is it not possible to re create the beat from ground up ? (link to the song?)

Was that any "help at all" ? :)

Great points by Foggy.

Best bet is to do the complete opposite and try to find something which works with the harmony of the bass. Copy the pattern or re-work it and mix them hand in hand to find something you like.

Gotta make sure the notes and tone occupy a realistic space with the existing bass, and it can sound great.

Something I admire Alchemist and Preemo for.

That seems too involved. With samples, it's not as about matching the Key of a sample (which is very difficult to try and determine with multi-sound/multi-instrument samples) as much as it is about simply just trying to match/blend mood, feeling, and sonic texture.

With regards to bass lines, (which I too found difficulty with at first), I approach it in two ways. When I'm doing bass lines with samples, 99% of the time I try to extract a bass frequency from somewhere within the main sample that I'm using. I use the filtered "framework" of the main sample, that is, a duplicate of the sample, but only low frequency. From here, I either use this filtered duplicate at the exact pitch and length of the main sample, or I chop it up into pieces and arrange it over 4 to 8 different MPC pads. Then I just "match" (dare I say play) the bass chops to the feel of the beat, using the main sample as my guide. If and when these bass chops lack sonic presence (umph), I layer in first generation sounds (live keyboard/synth) at strategic points in the arrangement. This adds depth to initial bass arrangement that I've worked in.

When I use bass lines in keyboard beats, I just focus on the anchor point or anchor sound. Before I knew anything about music theory, (I'm learning more), I knew bass lines and melody depended upon an anchor point, or rather an anchor sound, and my ability to progress up or down from that anchor in a pattern that fit whatever beat I was working on. Now I've learned that in Western music theory, this is actually known as simply using scales. Scales are a progression of single notes upwards or downwards in steps. They are defined by their starting point/step, or more precise, their starting note...

So what I do is I keep in mind that a standard bass guitar has 5 strings. Therefore, I only work with 2 to 5 notes. When I trigger bass sounds from reason, I arrange one bass sound over 16 pads. Then I pick out what I now call a "scale area" to work with. A scale area to me is just any 2 to 5 sounds/notes (pads) not necessarily ascending/descending, but agreeable to the theme of the beat that I'm working on. From here, I kind of give each sound (pad) a number, then I play some simple patterns like: 1-2-3...3-2-1...
After I get a feel for the possibilities, you know for what might I work, I get a little more advanced with it, something like: 1-2-3 3-3 2-3-3-3-4, 1, then loop. Now, knowing notes (A, B, C, etc.) certainly helps. But my lack of that sort of "traditional knowledge" forced me to compensate by coming up with own parallel system...

Bottom line: what I do is I pick the bass patch (sound) that I want to work with, then I sample or use it as is, then I duplicate it or assign it over 2 to 5 pads or keys. I start with a simple up or down 1-2-3...3-2-1. This gives me an idea about what pitch is working. After I determine the right pitch, I lay down a simple pattern, using the drums as my guide. Then after I've recorded and looped that, I lay down another simple pattern based on/playing off of the first simple pattern I laid down... Another thing that I do after this is I solo the bass part and then sample it. This allows me to then assign the entire bass part to just one pad. More importantly, it allows me to store that bass pattern to be used as part of a new beat later...

Removing a bassline is one of the easiest things there is to do. 90% of the sound of a bass lives below 300hz and most other instruments besides the kick drum never go below 100hz, all u have to do is filter out everything below 100hz with highpass filter and then use a low shelf eq to lower everything below 300hz by about 6-10db or more. Use your ears!!
Don't worry about losing any low freq sounds because if u are adding ur own bassline u will be replacing anything that u lost.

I love the sound a HPF gives to samples, it cleans up some of the background noise and makes them brighter. And if you take out the low frequencies, the bassline thats still there will no longer be bassline, rather just another melody in the sample, because thats all the bass is low freq. If you take out the low freq, you might still hear the notes of the bassline, but it won't be bass anymore. And if you adding your own over it, as long as the new notes don't clash with any in the sample, it should fit.

However, I always like to just keep the original bass from the sample if its there. The only reason to play your own bassline, imo, is if the sample doesn't have one to begin with.

If the basslines already there, your proably not going to get a better sounding bassline from some synth, than the real bass guitar recorded specifically to fit that sample. And if your ever going to clear the sample, it doubt it would cost extra to keep the bassline, so might as well keep it, IMO, unless you like what your going to add better. In the end its all up to you.

EQ out the bass, maybe even compress the sample a little on the bottom.

Then put your bass line over the sample bass.

ok what i do for sampled beats and it really speeds the process up is find a part of the track that im sampling...make my chop pattern and then put it into melodyne and use the dna to see what notes / chords are being played....its a great tool and not very expensive....that just makes things quicker for me :)

ok what i do for sampled beats and it really speeds the process up is find a part of the track that im sampling...make my chop pattern and then put it into melodyne and use the dna to see what notes / chords are being played....its a great tool and not very expensive....that just makes things quicker for me :)

what is this dna that you are talking about?

DNA = Direct note access..its a function that allows you to see individual notes of the chords in melodyne when you put a sample through it..hand little tool and can be used effectively in the right hands :0

mute out everything but your drums and really you cnat go wrong the only thing you can go by is your kick at that point caust your sample playing will mess with your head lol i would use a sub bass then change the sound until it fits at that point just how i would do it if i were stuck!

Back