Timbaland dirt off your shoulder?

its a synth sound, & its different then the Clap Back sound, my guess is that Timbaland sampled something from another song & tweaked it to sound like a saw wave synth, he uses his ASR-10 keyboard filters to give it a dirty sound when he samples it, and edits it to give it that Timbo sound, that's why he can sample whole loops and you'd still know he put the beat together

oh, and by the way, its "urgent", not ergent, just for future reference

matthewjames28 said:
come on its ergant.

i remember back in 2nd grade i was in the spelling bee. I got urgent as my word, and i mispelled it as ergent.. knew it soon as i said it to. I wonder where i would be today if i had gotten right...

anyway, sorry i have no help to your question, i was just reminiscing.

i was the only black kid in a spelling bee in the 8th grade. they gave everybody else easy words. they asked me 2 spell pedagogious or somethin' ... i think they set me up and pronounced it wrong 2 throw me off. i still don't know how 2 spell it.

I'm not sure about the percussion, but there's 3 sounds in there, the bass drum sounds like an ethnic drum, maybe some kind of oriental drum like a taiko or something, or an African drum, or even a tom layered with other sounds, the snare sound is probably just a snare with effects to make it sound that way, & the hi-hats are probably just a normal hi-hat with some bass effects to make it hit hard like that

feat a cabasa in teh chorus.
btw, 3.20 in the song, u hear a slowed piece of the song, right?
the 16ths sounds like a single clap.
i bet its a clap speeded up. not much done with it

Darko said:
i was the only black kid in a spelling bee in the 8th grade. they gave everybody else easy words. they asked me 2 spell pedagogious or somethin' ... i think they set me up and pronounced it wrong 2 throw me off. i still don't know how 2 spell it.

dass frigged up but hilarious at the same time

Secret:

To all the folks who inquire how does Timberland get this or that sound, it's really quite simple. See, the key likes in the onboard effects on the ASR boards, which are nothing short of amazing. I'm not gonna say which effect, you gotta cop and ASR and find out yourself ever since I've started tweaking the presets I've unconsiously stumbled upon that exact Timbaland "sound" myself.

And if you listen close to songs like "Dirt off.." Several sounds are routed through the same effect and recored straight out the main outs. No seperation of instruments at all.

Last edited:
The predominant sound is repeated throughout the whole track. Usually this way of arrangement makes tracks sound dull and get boring after the first couple of minutes. Timbaland, on the other hand, got that sample reprocessed so it goes...sample ver 1, than ver 2 than ver 3, than ver 1 again....

or in other words, I simply agree with this "And if you listen close to songs like "Dirt off.." Several sounds are routed through the same effect and recored straight out the main outs. No seperation of instruments at all."

asr-10 doesn't come with anything but a disk with a few drums. it's mainly a sampler. and u can't find timbo sounds b/c 95% are tweaked/stacked beyond comprehension.

but that main sound is kinda like Moody Tron Strings on the fantom...but i doubt that it is exactly like that...it's probably tweaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
matthewjames28 said:
how can you tell they aint seperated and to anyoen who has a asr 10 can you send em some sounds whic h are liek timbos.

Fist I had to commit to my theory that the effects were from the ASR series boards. One can reasonable assume this because Timbaland uses the ASR 10. Also further confirmed by the fact that I've routed sounds through my ASR effect and to my ear I could only compare the sound quality to that of Timbaland's.

Next I listened to Timbalands drum tracks. I used two key songs for reference "Head Sprung" and "Dirt off ya Shoulders". Listen to the (drum) mix of these songs. It has a dirty, muddy almost semi-professional" sound to it. Now note the the first principle in giving space to (drum) tracks is recording the songs on seperate tracks via seperate outputs.

NOT WHAT YOUR HEARING IN THESE EXAMPLES GIVEN.

Now that I've concluded that the effects he is using are on board in the ASR, I combined that with the fact the I know that the in the ASR Sounds can only be routed through one effect at a time...meaning multiple tracks have to use the same effect if you wish to use effects at all (assuming you don't resample).

Now listen to the aformentioned tracks and you might notice several instruments are sharing the same effect or the song in general has a certain sound it. Hence all track were probably routed through one effect as the ASR will "force" you to do.

This theory is further supported by the fact that Timberland is known in his recording sessions record his drums or other mixes straight out of the headphone jack which is the only other output on the ASR boards besides the main outs that you can record with effects.

I'm not saying that Timbaland uses this method for all songs but for that "Timbaland Sound" that everyone's refering to, this seems to be the case.

Add that all up and I think I make a pretty strong case for my original thesis.

Does anyone else think the mixing on that song sucked? The whole mix sounds muddy and dead to me. Is it just me? I thought that since I first heard the beat, theres no crispness to it, and I've heard a lot of Timbo's other stuff sound like a great mix, that one just sounds dull. Am I alone on this one?

DeeBlaze33 said:
Does anyone else think the mixing on that song sucked? The whole mix sounds muddy and dead to me. Is it just me? I thought that since I first heard the beat, theres no crispness to it, and I've heard a lot of Timbo's other stuff sound like a great mix, that one just sounds dull. Am I alone on this one?

That's what I just addressed above.

I'm pretty sure that's the feel he was going for.

he did that on most of his earlier stuff and is implementing it back into his new joints.

Its just sounds so out of place, especially on the Jay-Z album. I don't know, if you got the skills to make it sound good, use it! I think that song would have been way doper if it had been mixed properly and had the right shine to it. If he's just trying to be creative, thats great, but dam, when I make mixes like that, no one ever thinks IM trying to be creative, they just say it sucks.

DeeBlaze33 said:
Its just sounds so out of place, especially on the Jay-Z album. I don't know, if you got the skills to make it sound good, use it! I think that song would have been way doper if it had been mixed properly and had the right shine to it. If he's just trying to be creative, thats great, but dam, when I make mixes like that, no one ever thinks IM trying to be creative, they just say it sucks.

I know what you mean...

the song sounded professional in that "sonically" everything was smacking but i did have that muffled sound, bedroom producer quality to it.

whachugonnado?

Back