Timbaland Bounce Feel To Drums...

J

js41891

I'm trying give my upbeat tracks more of a bounce feel. Right now they sound to stiff for my likings(programed in some drums ussing the piano roll). Any advice? Also I know you shouldn't program drums by clicking in on the piano roll if you want a bouncy feel but producers like Lex Lugar do it and all of his tracks make my head bob.... Anyone?

Timbaland and Lex Lugar are diff entities with waaaaayyyyyyy different drums.

Get the hype out of your head that Quantizing is bad. in Hip Hop programming and quantizing is essential EXCEPT in the rare occasion you want a live sound(Roots, Dilla, ect)in which case, I'd just bust out my kid's drum set and mic it up for the genuine sound.

I'll give away the biggest secret I know(since I can't use it without sounding like dude). Timbaland beatboxes drum patterns(percs and all)think like Doug E Fresh. He just finds the sounds that fits whats going on in his head, and when the track is laid in the end, the drums sound crazy and unorthodox because you never beatbox "boom kak, boboom boom kak", it's more like "BzzzPahTickClik, BaBzzTickTickShhhClick"

Also the reason he often beatboxes into the tracks. Sometimes it's to give him a starting template, sometimes it's because he can't catch the vibe he wanted and once he beatboxes into the track it sounds right.

Last edited:
Timbaland and Lex Lugar are diff entities with waaaaayyyyyyy different drums.

Get the hype out of your head that Quantizing is bad. in Hip Hop programming and quantizing is essential EXCEPT in the rare occasion you want a live sound(Roots, Dilla, ect)in which case, I'd just bust out my kid's drum set and mic it up for the genuine sound.

I'll give away the biggest secret I know(since I can't use it without sounding like dude). Timbaland beatboxes drum patterns(percs and all)think like Doug E Fresh. He just finds the sounds that fits whats going on in his head, and when the track is laid in the end, the drums sound crazy and unorthodox because you never beatbox "boom kak, boboom boom kak", it's more like "BzzzPahTickClik, BaBzzTickTickShhhClick"

Also the reason he often beatboxes into the tracks. Sometimes it's to give him a starting template, sometimes it's because he can't catch the vibe he wanted and once he beatboxes into the track it sounds right.

Do you have any advice a good bounce feel like Lex Lugars? How would go about achieving that type of bounce?

^^^Haven't heard an "uptempo beat" from Lex. Just really slow tempos with really fast snare rolls and hihats.

Not sure his regular formula would work in an uptempo setting, lol.

^^^Haven't heard an "uptempo beat" from Lex. Just really slow tempos with really fast snare rolls and hihats.

Not sure his regular formula would work in an uptempo setting, lol.
lol mybad I meant any advice for a uptempo like bounce that will just make people jump out of their seats when it comes on kind of like the runners, the inkredibles, etc.?

All these tracks your mentioning fall below a tempo of 80.

In your program, you can set different timing measures. It usually defaults at 1/16. Set it to 1/32 and you can place notes in double time. Set it to 1/64 and it's quadruple time, and so on.

So you have a tempo of 74, but you can quantize to make your hats and snare rolls 2/4/8 times as fast as the tempos should allow(in lamens terms).

Back