Is there any song that doesn't have chord progressions or all songs have one .

what about the last song of T.I. with sk8board (pharrel williams), HEAR YE,HERE YE, that doesnt have a chord progression i think.

Thing is chord progression can actually refer to one note, not necessarily chords.

See say your chord progression goes CEG, well those 3 don't have to be chords.

For example it could go C chord, to E note, to G chord and that would still technically be CEG, although you're not using all chords.

Sorry for the ley terms and not really breaking it down but I'm pretty sure all songs do follow some sort of progression, you just might not now.

For instance Mary Had a Little Lamb is all single notes (melody) as we know it, but there are also chords that go behind it when you learn more advanced versions.

Mary had a little lamb - there is the melody and then there is the harmony:

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/maryLamb.mp3[/mp3]

maryLamb.png

Melody is the right hand (treble clef) Harmony is the left-hand (bass clef)

I'll come back with some stranger harmonisations later.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Thing is chord progression can actually refer to one note, not necessarily chords.

See say your chord progression goes CEG, well those 3 don't have to be chords.

For example it could go C chord, to E note, to G chord and that would still technically be CEG, although you're not using all chords.

Well yes and no => the use of sequential single notes may imply a chord progression but not necessarily the one that immediately springs to mind.

However, a sequence of notes found within a single chord, such as CEG, is quite possible for creating an song - a boring, repetitive song perhaps - but a single chord song nonetheless.

I have also just remembered Terry Riley's "In C" which has multiple parts but all playing the note C - so not even a single chord just a single note. It is the rhythm and the playing errors that make this piece interesting - it is a collection of rhythmic examples that are to be played be each player. Each player moves to the next rhythmic part only when they make a mistake playing the current rhythmic figure.

sure, I once made a joke about trance music being just Am or Am7 the whole way through with interesting rhythmic variations - put a few backs up, but it was mostly on the money.

Sure

Apart from having a song with only one chord in it, you can also have a song with no chords at all - just a melody.

You can also have a song where the harmony is not quite chords - single notes or two notes (You need three notes to make a chord.)

Some songs can have an implied progression such as "twinkle twinkle little star" - playing the melody of this suggests a chord progression even if none is played. An implied progression is not really a chord progression though.

I'm still trying to think of a big US hit that has only one chord in it, but I'm sure that there are a few where the harmony (all the music supporting the melody) isn't quite chords. Prince's "When doves cry" is a good example - the chord progression is only revealed at the end of the song - there isn't one at the start.

An implied chord progression, if there is some kind of backing track besides drums and melody, say a bass part, is a chord progression.

A melody in and of itself implies a chord progression regardless of any intent on the part of the composer to do otherwise.

It is our nature to hear harmony where there is meant to be none.

That we perceive a different harmony to each other is possible.

That we will sing a harmony line to an existing melody is probable.

No need for a bass-line to augment the melody and therefore create the harmony.

Well there are songs out there that are called "atonal" but you wont really hear them in mainstream/popular music. You'd hear them in music soundtracks for a horror film or something creepy for example

Not to say that atonal music has no chord progressions in it though, was just an idea

Last edited:
An implied chord progression, if there is some kind of backing track besides drums and melody, say a bass part, is a chord progression.

The problem with this is that there could be many different implied progressions for the one song. A bass note playing an E note for example may suggest either an E major chord or an E minor chord. You don't even have to play an E chord at all to this bass note.

A song may have several possible implied progressions which is why I'm discounting implied progressions for the OP's question.

Back