Talking bass change vowel sound?? :/

P

personx900

Hi!

For a while now I've been experimenting with change the vowel sounds of bass to create a riff. However I am not making much progress.

The type of sound I am looking for is something like the bass at the start of the song 'Party with Pinkie' by Alex S.

Also I know recreating Skrillex sounds is often frowned upon and I myself dislike it to a certain extent but another good example is at the beginning of 'Kill Everybody' where the bass seems to give to impression of saying the title of the song.

Is this possible in FM8? Possibly by automating the morph pad?

Please help.

-Harry

Looks promising. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Thanks!

Go forth an experiment!

As much as I hate to talk about a single plugin instead of learning the technique behind something, I'm pretty sure 90% of these mainstream songs just utilize the vowel filter in NI's Massive. And 99% of them end up sounding exactly the same.

It all comes back to Massive :j

Shame I have no money to buy it with

Thanks for replying too! :D

I use the WOW Filter by Sugar Bytes. You can use any synth including fm8. The bass is called a formant bass.

Last edited:
Yes I've tried Wow before but didn't get very into it.

I'll have to give it another shot :)

Thanks!

OBik: Awesome :)

EnzoVangetti: That would be great!

Thank you everyone! You've all been really helpful!

Go forth an experiment!

As much as I hate to talk about a single plugin instead of learning the technique behind something, I'm pretty sure 90% of these mainstream songs just utilize the vowel filter in NI's Massive. And 99% of them end up sounding exactly the same.

Is the plugin powerful enough to replicate the bass timbaland made for Ginuwine's Pony?

Last edited:
Pretty much what everybody has said.
Look up "hyperphysics vowel" on google - first article is an explanation of human vowel sounds (where the formants lie in the frequency spectrum).

Simply using an equalizer to somewhat match these extreme shapes and automating the frequencies will get you pretty far.
Plugins like SugarBytes Turnado have a formant filter built-in.

You can always go the extreme route and Find Vocal samples and use a vocoder to blend it to your synthesizer to get some pretty wacky results.

The best thing to do is accept and respect the power of sugar-bytes WOW. It really does magic for these sorts of sounds. You'd need to have the resonance very high (80-90%, find the sweet spot before the sound starts breaking up) and play with overdrive and distortion (put all effects before the filter in the fx chain). An important thing to remember is that it's best to have wavetables and sound quality modulate at the same time as the filter does its job, and the most important thing is that the sound needs to be very very harmonically rich. This gives character, which when modulated with a vowel filter makes it sound more 'realistic' and 'monstrous' than if a plainer sound was put into the filter.

Back