Synth questions

Sequence2

Just got the Vanguard analog synth from Refx and I was playing around with some of the knobs trying to understand how everything works exactly and I had a couple questions (not specific to the Vanguard synth because my questions relate to pretty much all synths) there are 4 knobs which change the LFO settings (Speed, Detune, PWM, and Cutoff) I already understand the effects of the Cutoff/ Detune knobs, but I was wondering about speed/ PWM. I assume speed changes how fast the LFO is oscillating (I just cant hear it so perhaps that's why I have to ask if that's what it does, if not please correct me) whereas with PWM.. I have no idea! I turn the knob slowly/ very fast and I can't hear any difference in the sound I am playing around with. (There is no manual for this synth by the way or else I wouldn't be asking!) Also, if anyone knows.. what does the retrig button do on a Synth? I can toggle it on/ off for the Oscillators and the LFO. Toggling the retrig on/ off has no effect on the sound what so ever so if anyone knows what it does I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

According to the Vanguard's specs page on the reFX site, there should be a pdf manual.

Anyway, while I haven't used Vanguard, judging from the screenshot the LFO is indeed a bit confusing, since it seems to me that the only parameter that's actually affecting the LFO itself is the speed (which indeed changes the LFO's rate). You should be able to hear it once the LFO is modulating something, but obvioulsly it won't do anything by itself. The other parameters are apparently "hardwired" (as opposed to being able to freely select the modulation destination) to their destinations.

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation and is a parameter of, as the name implies, pulse (=square) waves. Basically changing the width of a pulsewave changes its harmonic content, and in this case the width is constantly modulated by the LFO - if it doesn't seem to be doing anything, you probably have to select a pulsewave for at least one of the oscillators. A subtle PWM should cause a sort of chorusey sound.

Finally an image to illustrate how the pulsewave looks with different pulse widths...
PWM-Duty%20Cycle.gif

Back