Swing on all tracks or just drums?

Yumid

Do you guys apply the same groove/swing to your chords/plucks as your drums? Or just swing on the drums?

Talking dance music here, 4 on the floor, house, etc..

It depends on the sound you want. You might only want it on a part of the drum track (hi-hat, for instance).

GJ

No quantize, or swing everything.
No quantize lets the user just play exactly how he want it to sound offbeat swingly like

Hi Yumid,

I think if you mean pure ‘triplet feel’ with the word ‘swing’, you should also apply this feel to the other instruments in your mix. That being said, many pre-produced beats with hi-hats and percussion and stuff, have a feel that is somewhere in between ‘straight’ and ‘triplet’. In that case it’s a matter of taste I guess. If it’s just a little off, I feel that you can maybe get away with just keeping the rest straight. If it’s more than a little off, you might have to recreate the specific feel to get your rhythm parts locked, or just do it by ear. In short: if it works, it works :)

JD

Do you guys apply the same groove/swing to your chords/plucks as your drums? Or just swing on the drums?

Talking dance music here, 4 on the floor, house, etc..

I always aim to apply groove. It makes everything seem tighter and more coherent

I swing nearly everything. I try to inch by small nudges forward or backwards.

Typically I'll keep what I play by hand as is, but scoot it forward or backwards a few notches. Gives the whole track movement.

given that most grooves/swing templates are based on what happens off the beat, it is important for you to ensure that any musical event that is off the beat is treated with the same groove/swing factor (more or less), otherwise you may well end up with a mess of conflicting interpretations of what the beat is and how it is subdivided

However, there are times when using slightly different grooves/swing factors can add some interest to otherwise mundane rhythmic movement - experimentation is the only way to make these work, however... (wow started and ended with a however, very rare grammatically correct scansion)

Back