Sub Bass?

ohmenofficial

Ok so I hear all the commercial tracks with this low wide rumbly sub bass and I can't seem to figure it out. I'm currently trying to make a remix of Bass Cannon by Flux Pavilion and flux has this awesome sub bass and I can't get it at all. Anybody got any ideas?

Most sub-bass is a sine wave triggered by the original midi data shifted down one octave (maybe two in some special cases)

Yeah, as far as sub bass goes, it's really simple because it has to be. Too many frequencies playing at once down low will sound muddy and cancel each out. You can't really get complex sounds going until your about two octaves above the fundamental. There's really only room for these three frequencies in that really low bass: the fundamental (needs to be a sine), an octave, and an octave and a half. The higher you go, the more complexity you can add. After that, there's all sorts of synthesis to be done to create harmonics and partials to flavor the sound. You can add interest to the bass without adding extra frequencies too, i.e. pitch slides, opening/closing a filter, etc...

Back