Specific guitar sound?

Jcool

Can anybody give me some sort of direction to recreating the primary guitar instrument used in the beginning of this? The one that is pitch bending a lot. Pitch bending is not the problem for me, but I cannot achieve the "tonality", to where it's making me think I'm not using the correct instrument or I'm not configuring the instrument correctly. I've tried a slew of guitar vst's and a few kontakt patches, and I've also tried a pedal steel guitar, but that still wasn't quite what this sounds like. Sorry I can't find a better quality version of this; it's a royalty free song that the creators of this game bought over a decade ago from who knows where on the internet, and this is the quality that is available.

There are two basic guitar sounds here. One is a simple, typical Dick Dale type "surf" plucky tone (the rhythm element); the other is a slightly distorted, sustaining lead with a bit of pick attack. They're pretty standard electric guitar sounds, although I'm not sure where you'd find samples, but they must be out there.

Back