Sound design help! Need help with bass synth!!!

DiscoDue

Disco Due
First off thank you for checking out this post:

I've been trying for the longest time to make this sound, its this lead/bass saw sound in this track called Parting by Mitis.

Ive been trying to recreate it in malstrom and thor, and its just not working. I've ran out of options and am in dire need of some help. So please, if you have an ideas or any suggestions at all please let me know.

Thanks,
Disco Due

Sounds like a pretty basic supersaw, spread over 3 or 4 octaves. It's essentially just detuned saw waves, I'm not sure what thor is capable of but as an FM synth it should have either a per operator or master unison/detune that you can use to thicken up the sound. Bit of distortion, plenty of chorus and a shitload of reverb with heaps of early reflections should do the trick. Then either heavy sidechain/volume automation or a HUGE amount of attack (well, as far as turning up the knob goes XD) to get that fade in effect.

Thank you so much, I'll try everything you just told me and if it does the trick, ill post the results but what do you mean by "early reflections" on the reverb.

early reflections are basically as they sound, the first bit of reflected sound that makes up reverb. Imagine clapping your hands in a small room, the reverberated sound come back at you short and sharp. That's an example of early reflections, digital reverbs sometimes have a value that controls them and keeps them separate from a longer diffused tail (for example clapping you hands in a cathedral). I like cranking the ER value on big saw pads and leads as to me it seems to thicken up the sound nicely. It's all personal preference though.

how do you make the font white, i know its off topic here, i made a topic and my whole post is hard to read off

you would be better off using subtractor to do this with: everything you hear is quickly and easily programmable in the subtractor interface.

I'll see if I can find some time to program it and post the patch for you......

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

how do you make the font white, i know its off topic here, i made a topic and my whole post is hard to read off

don't do it: there are two main themes for this board: gray/white and black. If you colourise your font, you make it difficult to read in the gray/white theme, particularly if you use white or gray as the font colour - it is the same as the background and tends to disappear). the third theme is the mobile theme (don't use so don't know what vagaries it brings to the table).......

Last edited:
alright
i have my background set to the gray/white
i did colourise the font so its too late for that one...
im not sure, i guess others might not be able to read my post if their backround is black
since my font is black

Thank you so much, you've been super helpful, I found the early reflection rate nob on the RV-7000 Advanced reverb and it sounds great! Defiantly will be using this a lot more in future synths.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Ill be looking forward to hearing what you made.

soundcloud (dot) com / noisesplitter / mitis-parting-bass-recreation / s-SkUE3 (apparently I still can't post official links yet)

I kinda got something similar to it using four saws, three were octaves, and the fourth was a 7th cause it sounds like that's how its played in the song. Then I just increased the attack, added saturation, a bunch of chorus, a little delay, and a compressor at the end of the effects chain.

That was awesome, what synth did use, I think adding a unsion or detuning would have smoothed everything out and it would have been almost an exact replica.

Thanks man! that was with Rob Papen's Blue, I literally use it for every synth I design. I just love it way too much because I've learned all the ins and outs of it. I'll try and touch it up tomorrow morning when my brains not so exasperated from lack of sleep

If you dont mind me asking, What are the notes you just played, I cant tell and would like to show everyone my attempt.

How did you get it to where its a privae/unprivate track, where its not viewable from your channel unless given a link?

How did you get it to where its a privae/unprivate track, where its not viewable from your channel unless given a link?

Soundcloud gives you the option to make the track public or private right before you finish uploading it. Just scroll down after you upload the file, and before posting it, choose private. I think its right above where you can choose to let people download the track as well. Good luck

You can also change whether it is public or private later just by editing it's details and doing the same thing.....

I know how to do that lol, just when I try and click on the link I get a "oops" page, but hopefully this will work for everyone:
soundcloud (dot) com/ discodue/ mitis-bass

Take out spaces and put a dot in the (dot) space.

Back