Songs analysis

The easiest thing to do is just map the song out yourself measure by measure. First figure out what the time signature is (4/4 usually), then map out the number of measures in each phrase or section (often 8 bars each to the verses and chorus, for example). Then after you map those out, look at the chord sequences. How does the harmony change from measure to measure or from phrase to phrase? Then look at what the melodies are doing, and finally any other little details that add to the overall experience of the piece.

In some of the best classical music, the composer takes some small motif, maybe even just a few notes, and then expands those to create the structure of the entire rest of the piece. Beethoven was a master of this. The first notes of Beethoven's opus 131 string quartet basically lay out the key signatures of each movement that follows. Those same notes also create the feel and set the tone for the entire rest of the quartet, which is about 40 minutes long. Fortunately most songs today aren't nearly that complicated. They mostly reuse the same structure, phrasing, and chord progressions, so once you become familiar with them you can start getting creative with them yourself.

Thank you. Sure, I could do as you says. :)
I can use a musical sheet, or a Midi file too.
But I'm looking for the kind of analysis that you can see in that thesis. I can't find anywhere.

Unfortunately I'm not able to open the link to that document for some reason. Can you maybe paste some of it here or something?

Nevermind, I was able to open it.

The analyses in the appendices of that document are just doing what I just described. The only difference is they put it into tables with pictures instrument by instrument, but they're still just counting the number of measures per phrase and how many times a certain figure repeats in that phrase. They're not even considering the chord/harmony changes, though they included a spectrogram. I used to just scribble something out on a sheet of scrap paper to diagram the structure.

What are you trying to do with this? Write your own paper for university, or actually study the musical structure of a particular piece for your own reasons? Because making little graphics of the sheet music and putting it into a table isn't really necessary unless you just like doing that for its own sake.

Last edited:
Back