Should 808's follow chord progession?

Chris Torio

What's going on everyone,

I'm having trouble with 808's I have a chord progession ready to go what I usually do is have the 808's just follow the bottom notes of the chords. Just wondering does it always have to follow the chord progession or can I just make a different bass line all together with the 808s. I feel like when I hear some trap music with chord progessions sometime it doesn't seem like the 808 is following the progession. Basically the question is would it be stupid to not follow the chord progession.

Thanks guys

Think of it this way...

Your 808's are just another way to apply sub and bass frequencies to your tracks.
This being said...

I usually use my 808's as either a layer for the kick to give it a little extra thump, or I use it in place of say a Bass guitar. Depending on the genre you're going for, you should try to offset your 808 to the contradiction of your main melody instrument you are using.

For example, Say you are using a piano as your melodic instrument. Chord progression going from A.min, A.maj, A.min, C.maj in the 5th octave, you would offset the bass tone to something like G, F, A, E in the 3rd Octave.

Using just the piano, it would sound like this: View attachment untitled.mp3

Though it's not the best sounding, it gives a contrast to the two frequency ranges which builds tension. Once you have that tension, you can upscale to increase energy, or downscale to lower energy. To release the tension you then just have to smooth out the note progression of the bass instrument to match up to the melody instrument. Which can be applied to either raising or lowering the energy of the track.

Think of it this way...

Your 808's are just another way to apply sub and bass frequencies to your tracks.
This being said...

I usually use my 808's as either a layer for the kick to give it a little extra thump, or I use it in place of say a Bass guitar. Depending on the genre you're going for, you should try to offset your 808 to the contradiction of your main melody instrument you are using.

For example, Say you are using a piano as your melodic instrument. Chord progression going from A.min, A.maj, A.min, C.maj in the 5th octave, you would offset the bass tone to something like G, F, A, E in the 3rd Octave.

Using just the piano, it would sound like this: View attachment 46197

Though it's not the best sounding, it gives a contrast to the two frequency ranges which builds tension. Once you have that tension, you can upscale to increase energy, or downscale to lower energy. To release the tension you then just have to smooth out the note progression of the bass instrument to match up to the melody instrument. Which can be applied to either raising or lowering the energy of the track.

Thank you so much for taking time out and showing me this. This really did help me out a lot definitely understand a lot better now!

Back