Scales suitable for trap/drill music?

RzRbeats

I've been looking for scales for trap music and I still haven't found anything,I want something dark or serious or sad,I've been trying Natural Minor scales and I still can't get the sound that I like,please help me! Thank you in advance!

find a song you like in that genre, search for it on beatport. Theres the key.

Base your decision around that key or keys close to it.

Thats how I usually do it if i just wanna start a song and dont really care about the key right off the bat.

I want something dark or serious or sad,I've been trying Natural Minor scales
You're in the right path, as minor scales are often associated with that tone you want. You can try using the Harmonic Minor or go full experimental with, for example, a Hungarian (gypsy) minor.

also when working with minor scales i tend to just purposely forget that I'm in the natural, harmonic or melodic.

I just treat the 6th, 7th and both of them raised a semi tone as scale tones and use whichever one works best for that note. Kind of like one big minor scale with all 3 minor scales put into it. It gives you a couple more options that won't always work but as long as you're confident in the notes you're picking and have some sort of common music sense, you cant really get it 'wrong'.

There have been lots of cases where I assumed i was just in the natural minor but the raised 6th was working good too, so since then ive just been combining all the minor scales into one and using whatever works.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I took on account everything you said,I guess I was correct about Natural Minor,but I'lll try some harmonic and melodic and see how it works,combining these three is also a good idea,thank you once again!

Back