Scale Confusion...help me out here.

Trenchant

yeah huh...
i got this track i'm doin right now. It's a very simple track. there are chords goin:

a minor
a flat minor

but the thing that irks me, is i'm confused as to what to do with it. those two chords don't fall into a scale together do they?? is it alright to switch scales??

i'm very confused.

If you play A Major and Ab Minor, it can fit into E Major scale (E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E)...you can look at this site and see if it fits into anything. But switching scales is okay with a smooth transistion...(hitting notes that are in common with both scales) before the switch...or it might sound weird...just do it...if it sounds fine, thats all that matters..

Last edited:
These chords fit the harmonic or melodic A minor scale, enharmonically, with a flat being g sharp, and e flat being d sharp (not natural d to avoid the diminished fifth). So your song is in Am.

You have had some good info there but also think about this. You can write coherent music based on chord progressions and base you harmonic ideas around the current chord. ( It helps if you know the circle of fifths if you want smoothness and expected harmonic changes )

You could look at it as a simple transposition of the tonal centre and base other harmonies accordingly. Work around your chord progression, forget scales, you can play a huge amount of interlocking modes and Pentatonics which will all interconnect without getting bogged down with what scale you are in.

Google the circle of fifths and pentatonics and to be honest, go with what sounds good to you.

just googled circle of fifths and got this site, circle-of-fifths. net
Looks like they break it down into a few lessons..i haven't checked it out yet, but i'm about to right now since i'm also in the beginning of understanding this subject. I'll see how it is

use the Amin scale over the Amin chord then switch to the A flat minor scale over the A flat minor chord.
its not wrong to change keys in a song

Back