Remixing

euretro

I make original music of my own, but I also want to get into remixing. My question is how do you get the raw material to remix? Do you just take the complete track and chop it up, or can you get the original seperate tracks on Dat? I've heard that the latter is true in most cases. But how does someone who is not famous get a hold of the original tracks?

This goes for anything from old funk and soul to new dance mixes - small and large labels.

Thanks!

I am new to all this music recording stuff and have not re-mixed any songs yet. However, have you tried re-creating the song in your sequencer?

Of course, you can't get the original sounds and vocals but I guess you could produce a decent re-mix with your own beats and effects.

Let us know what you end-up finding out as I am very interested in remixing tracks too.

Well, I know a guy who has done it. He has his own record label - and there's the secret. If you are somewhat established in the biz, you can ask the record label of the artist who you want to remix for separated tracks on DAT or ADAT. If they feel you can produce something interesting, and that you're somewhat well known (they're not going to give these precious tracks to somebody if the remix is only going to be heard in the remixer's bedroom), then they will oblige your request.

The only alternative for "nobodies" is to cut up the original track (the full mixed version) and do your best to filter out different elements (i.e. pull down the bass and some of the highs to get the vocals). But this method leaves you with pretty lousy sounding samples to work with. Of course, this could prove to be an even more interesting effect than having the clean, separated tracks.

Another route to try if you want to build a portfolio of work (to show the big labels what you can do) is to hook-up with smaller labels and artists and ask to remix their tracks. You are more likely to succeed in obtaining separated material as a "nobody" if the track your requesting is also by a "nobody." If your good, you might get asked to produce some more remixes by that label, or eventually by bigger and bigger labels.

BTW: When I say "nobody," I just mean you ain't no Puff Daddy, so forget about calling David Bowie to get some tracks to remix!

Thanks Vetch, good article... it answered my questions! His approach #3 (write a new song based on the original, but that includes nothing from the original) is exactly what I wanted to do but wasn't sure if it was possible or had ever been done.

check out http://www.loopfish.net

download some acapellas.. use napster to download instrumentals or alot of techno without many vocals and start off by making bootlegs with a multitrack program like vegas, acid, or pro studio or the likes..

just find acapellas and make ur own loops up, u might find that some artist have fun competition where they give u some loops and u go and remix their track for free and send it back to them and see what happens from there

Groove Armada recently did this with raveworld.net and Yesterday I saw a beastie boys contest just like this although I can't remember where.

But usually they will give you all the loops you need to do remixes of their songs.

/.v

Remixes

Euretro,

this idea may even appeal to you more than the previous ones- Surely we all know about beatnik emixes (let you "mix" over the net using a java interface). What one can do is load up a emix while you have your comp's output connected to the mic. jack via a phono wire. play each of the samples, using some program like sound recorder to grab them. after that, clean up the actual loop itself. Load into your sequencer/ software- and thank me if your mix
turns out decent :-D
here is the beatnik addy, if im not mistaken:
http://www.beatnik.com

-Dj Lodger
http://www.mp3.com/pcv9 <-- please hit this url if you found my stuff at all usefull

[Edited by Lodger on 02-07-2001 at 11:41 AM]

whatyusay: well the mc505 does NOT process external audio as you may have misunderstood.. you can cut the bass and all, but on the machine's sounds.. pretty useless when comes to remixing an existing song

read euretro's post. it is the most interesting of this thread, lots of valuable info!

take care

Ooops, maybe I am confused, but why is it the PDF document at the beginning of the Megamix section refer to combining "elements from different records"? Very misleading if that's not what they meant, after all I was thinking of purchasing this machine for that purpose.

"MEGAMIX function allows for intuitive pattern creation by combining rhythms and parts of one pattern with another"

:( all it is is to make a better mix of your own patterns.

you're welcome man :)
this is what this place is all about, sharing, learning, etc..
see you around

Hi there,
If u are to the live mixing the equip below is the best, it can do realtime efx , 8 track multitrack recording, and a D-beam controler changes efx by u're body movement over. i'ts a good basic multitrack recorder and a kick *** remixer workstation, auto bpm counting, and 16 banks etc, and a built in zip drive givew a lot of suport to our remixing tecxniques. You can get more info at http://www.roland.co.jp/worldwide/products/MI/groove_gear/SP-808.html or http://www.rolangroove.com.

SP-808.jpg

Back