reason

D

dj funkifize

just checked out the reason demo. It seemed really good for midi composing. But nothing for audio, other than sampling. I don't think I missed any of the features it has to offer. But is there an audio recording feature on there I missed? Where I can record straight audio- not just samples.

and... I don't know if this was supposed to be funny, but the drum machine... "reDrum"... "redrum" ... "the shining" ... well, if you saw the movie, you'd know what I mean. I thought it was funny. :D

thanks
-Mike

[Edited by dj funkifize on 02-12-2001 at 06:31 PM]

Do you mean like, where you can record your finished song? There's an Export to .wav feature. But it only works in the full ver. =) Hope that helps.

Hey,

U Can't record directy into reason ... but u can use any .wav or .aif file in the sampler (the sampler is really a sample player). U can play the sampled file as one long note and u can have as many samplers in ur rack as ur comp can handle.

Hope that helps,

DanMan

actually... the REX blue device is a sample player, but the NN19 is a SAMPLER not just a sample player.. you can create a patch which contains several samples, ADSR, and other things.. I find it almost as powerful as the S6000 I used to have, as I have a Pulsar II sound card in this system, making the latency time down to 20 milliseconds.

I like the NN19, it does the job for me..

As for th eoriginal question, no you can't record an audio track in the Reason's sequencer.. but who knows what they'll add in the future.

good luck!

Oh...! I get it now! He wants to know if the NN19 Sampler actually records samples like live hardware! :: Smacks self in the forhead :: ;) Ok, now I feel dumb.

Yeah, ManoOne's right. You can't record an audio track in Reason's sampler... But you can just record a sample with any external program such as Sound Forge or Cool Edit.
icon14.gif
Then import the .aiff or .wav file into Reason's Sampler and even export new patches.

Reason is the dogs bollox guys, I just got the full version on Friday last week. It's got the biggest sound bank you can imagine, and you can do almost anything u want with it, from sampling, sequencing, effects (althogh its doesn't accept both DirectX & VST plugins wich is a shame)

Also got fruity 3.0 on Fri, not much different to 2.0 - nearly all the instruments are the same, but its's got a few more features like the piano roll, and more effcts.

Al-x-s

A 'reason' to live...

Yeah, Reason is the shizzot. It is a damn shame that it isn't compatible with VSTI and DirX Plugs. But there is a good way to work around it so that you may use your VST inserts and DirX Plugs (And have quite a good amount of control over them) within your Reason compositions.
icon10.gif

Let's call this post, "How to use your VST & DirX plugs with your Reason compositions, using any VST & DirX compatible looping or sequencing program."
icon2.gif

The thing is, that this can only be done when you are finished composing your song within Reason and you think you have the closest thing that you're going to get to a master edit.

Solo one of your channels. (lets pretend it's Redrum #1), Then export your song as a ".wav" file. (Name this file accorrdingly that you know what track it corresponds to - ie: ReDrum #1)

The ".wav" file you have just exported will only contain the one channel you put on solo, for the duration of the song.

Next, just do the same for each of the rest of your channels.

After you've done this with all of your channels, you should have each instrument/module tracked to it's own ".wav" file.

(Example)
These tracks are labled for what song they are and what module/instrument was tracked

Sidewinder - DrRex_1.wav
Sidewinder - DrRex_2.wav
Sidewinder - Bazzline1.wav
Sidewinder - Lead Synth 2.wav
Sidewinder - Synth_3.wav
Sidewinder - Sampler1.wav
..etc, etc...

.... or what ever you found most convinient for you.

Now you can import these wav files to any VST/DirX compatilbe sequencer/loop utility that you wish, (Even Fruity Loops if you want.) arrange them correctly, so that you have your song back, and then apply your plugins and mastering effects to only the instrument tracks you want.

Then when you are finished, export your master-edit, and do with it as you wish!
icon10.gif

I hope this helps anybody who has jumped over to Reason and has been frustrated about not being able to use thier VST & DirX effects plug-ins! ;)

[Edited by DJ Nytestrike on 03-05-2001 at 04:42 PM]

I thought one could utilise rewire in cubase and route the tracks individually thru Cubase and put as many fex as good taste allowed ?
As i have only read the promos i can only ask. Will be with Reason soon as i can manage.

Give me a reason...!

Good point that I forgot to cover! ;)

You can ReWire Reason any ReWire compatable soft such as Cubase, Logic, and Digital Performer. Then you can use your other software (such as Cubase VST) as the host program.

Cubase will create new channels and your ReWired Reason channels will show up in Cubase VST, between your regular audio channels and your grouped channels. These channels won't have any inputs, but all the FX, bussing, automation ect, ect is there.

I just figured Al-x-s didn't have any ReWire compatible software and thus asked the question.

Has anyone had a problem with Cubase's Rewire window? I don't mean hooking things up thru rewire, just when i actually open the rewire console it just appears as a window that says the Rewire bit but won't open any further. I can't resize it, and can't get any channels open because it won't open enough to see them. Maybe i have a bug or something. It's on an Asus laptop, pretty newish.
I know it's slightly off topic, but still...

There is a "Rewire-Cubase" problem that occurs with some versions of Cubase. Look inside your Reason program folder for a folder labled "ReWire Cubase Problems". There should be a patch to fix your problem located there, accompanied by a 'readme' file of some sort.

I don't think that's gonna fix your problem, Though... Are you talking about when you open Cubase and go to the "Panels > ReWire" Menu?

icon10.gif

[Edited by DJ Nytestrike on 03-07-2001 at 04:09 PM]

So Nytestrike, have got any tunes produced as of yet mate?

Your In US aren't you? What Style of music do you play?

Yes I am in the US.

As for what styles I play, you can read by clicking here:
http://www.onlinedj.com/board/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3718

As for my tunes, I had about 10 or so completed tracks that I came out with a year or 2 ago. I never publicised anything as my skills were, well... 'weak'. And my ex kind of broke my hard disk recorder, (that's what I was using at the time) and I don't have all this money flying out of my arse so I haven't gotten another one as of yet. So, those tracks aren't recoverable.

As of now I have lots and lots of 1-2 minute experimental tracks. These I've put down and slapped together just so I wouldn't forget what I had come up with.

I haven't really had a whole lot of time lately to get into my studio and start banging out some complete tunes.

These I would love to put in a public post but, since they aren't master edits, and mearly 1-2 minute jots of notes... I'm afraid some 'malicious' person might try to steal my Ideas!

I could e-mail you one of my 'slap-it-together-and-do-it-for-real-later' tracks, if you'd like.

I'd mail more, but I'm kinda like "Willy Wonka" and his "Everlasting Gobstoppers" when it comes to my unpublished stuff.

[Edited by DJ Nytestrike on 03-07-2001 at 12:07 PM]

Hello

Got your e-mail Nye, but it all was - was about 8 secs of muffling/crackling sounds & then a 2 sec high pith chord??

take it that wasn't what it was meant to sound like eh?

I've almost finished my first track which i did on fruity/acid 2.0 plus other bits and bobs. It's Hard House Track, don't now whether you get any hard house in the states do you?

I've played it a couple of times at the clubs i have a residency and have got a really good reaction every time.

That is really weird that all you recieved was "about 8 secs of muffling/crackling sounds & then a 2 sec high pith chord" It shouldn't have sounded anything like that.

I'll try to send it again... that is so odd....

This time I'll "zip" it to prevent any data loss...

8 seconds of muffled crackling sounds and then a high pitched chord could make a great intro for a bangin dancetune. Artistically speaking of course.
I really like Kraftwerk's "Geiger Counter". Conceptually.

Back