Quick question: when you make a song do you...

bm@r22

...have the melody/sounds in your head or do you start from scratch, make a drum beat and basically just freestyle and let the music "make itself"?

The reason I ask is I get all of these awesome melodies in my head but it's hard for me to put them on the computer. I do a little bit of sound design but I'm not great at it yet so I will use slot of presets and tweak (which is what I heard alot of guysfo anyway).

Just looking for some opinions. I know it'll depend and I guess a bonus question is how do you make the intricit sounds in you're head?

Thx!!

for me it depends at times i have the melodies in my head because i have the melody to a song i had written already but the other times i just start with some drum beats and let it flow.....what i can say is that it doesnt really matter which one u start with because they both can end perfectly....i wouldnt be thinking about that so much.....what u could do is use chord progression that could help

everyone's got their own sequence of things.
personally my motivation is gained throughout daily activities.
i might hear something on itunes radio at work and jot down the song to chop later, sometimes ill hear a melody in my head, ill start singing or freestyling in the car get an idea or at night ill watch a film and hear a sound i think would be a good percussion instrument and start from there. also i occasionally hear songs RIGHT before i fall into REM too...and the crazier part is that i hear the whole entire song as if its been mixed and mastered. ill remember hearing it vividly and then ill forget it which is utterly sad lol
but idk...i never investigated that part of music making too much.
honestly the best way to describe it to you would be possession....i sit down and i really dont remember how i got in, or even have a blueprint of how ill get out.

thanks for all of the replys everyone. I guess a side question I should ask is what do you all do if you have a specific sound in your head but you dont know how to make it and after going through hundreds of sounds you lose inspiration on that sound and start hearing other "neat" sounds?

I find Ive done that alot. Ill be working on a track and I know what needs to be next but I cant make it, like I said Im not perfect at sound design yet, so I sift through presets and samples and eventually find a sound that would sound cool...sometimes for a different song, so I take that and work on another track lol

progress.gif
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=6775447

I usually have most of the song done in my head before going to computer. I don't think I've ever written anything on computer before - for me, it slows things up too much.

I can only make the tunes in my head if I already have the sounds already made and saved as presets ready to use and indexed on a sheet of paper. Otherwise I just get lost in the process trying to find the sounds or make them.

Most of the time lately, I play around with some new sounds until I get an idea, then I record it and build upon that idea. It's pretty much overdubbing after that.

But I feel lately that I need to change my style and try composing with chords instead of melodies. Once I accomplish this, I think my tunes will be fuller and richer and more varied.

Back