Thread: Questions about chords and progressions

Thanks

Questions about chords and progressions

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello there people,

I've been reading lots of tutorials and read many many posts from Bandcoach about chords. But I still don't understand something. I don't play any instruments by the way, I always just draw my notes on the piano roll in my daw.

I know about scales and I know which chords there are.

For example, I got the scale Eb major. That means the notes are: Eb F G Ab B C D Eb.

Now I always make my chords like this:

Major example:

Eb - G - B -> G - B - D -> F Ab C -> Ab - C - Eb

but, now my question is, can I use the different chords in 1 progression? Because I always just choose one chord, and make the whole progression with it in my scale. But can you use like a major triad to a power chord and then to a minor 7th for example? Or do you always choose one chord and make a progression with that?

Another question, do chord progression always belong to 1 scale? Because I hear people in tutorials talk about: We gonna use a D major chord, a C major chord and an A minor. (Just an example I don't know if it actually works or sounds right :P) but then I am like: wtf. So you want me to put a major triad in de D scale, then a major triad in the C scale and then a minor triad in the A scale? Or am I not understanding it right?

Please help me

Thanks
    First off,
    You spelled the Eb major scale wrong, it is:
    Eb F G Ab Bb C D

2nd, Yes, you can use different chords in a progression.
    For example, a jazz standard I LOVE (besides Love for Sale and Stolen Moments) called Recorda-me not only uses different chords in its B section, but it changes keys several times:
    /C-7 F7/Bbmaj7/Bb-7 Eb7/Abmaj7/Ab-7 Db7/Gbmaj7/
    Here is an audio example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw_6iJOlvUE
    This becomes clearer once you learn your chord-scales and the Nashville Number System.
    There are three key changes happening up there, all in one song. Lets analyze the first key change: C minor(2nd chord of Bb major) to F(5th chord of Bb major) to Bb major(Tonic chord). Each of these chords belong to the key of Bb major. This is the major 2-5-1(ii-V7-I) progression.
    Now, we don't have to play each of those chords as 7 chords-we can alter/extend each one to whichever sounds the best to our ears and leads to the next chord the smoothest. In the audio example, I played the V chord not as a 7th but as a 9th chord because it just sounds better and going to that tonic chord.
    Last edited by Pumpthrust; 09-07-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    Only on future producers could someone ask about melody and have two posts which don't mention anything about notes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpthrust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditcher View Post
    Another question, do chord progression always belong to 1 scale? Because I hear people in tutorials talk about: We gonna use a D major chord, a C major chord and an A minor. (Just an example I don't know if it actually works or sounds right :P) but then I am like: wtf. So you want me to put a major triad in de D scale, then a major triad in the C scale and then a minor triad in the A scale? Or am I not understanding it right?

Please help me
    The Bb issue has been addressed

Your question above D /// | C /// | Am /// | D /// ||

This progression exists in G major or D mixolydian so is a valid progression

Put more simply it is possible that several chords can be found in the same key/modal center

In any major scale there are three major triads, three minor triads and a diminished triad. for each of the modes built on that major scale (2-dorian, 3-phrygian, 4- lydian, 5-mixolydian, 6-aeolian, 7-locrian) the same number and types of triads can always be found

Scale tone Chord type Spelling Chord symbol
    1 Major 1-3-5 (no symbol usually used)
    2 minor 2-4-6 m
    3 minor 3-5-7 m
    4 Major 4-6-1 (no symbol usually used)
    5 Major 5-7-2 (no symbol usually used)
    6 minor 6-1-3 m
    7 diminished 7-2-4 mb5

When we move to the harmonic minor things change. There are now two minor triads, two major triads, one augmented triad and 2 diminished triads. Again, for each of the modes of the harmonic minor, the same number and types of triads will exist.

1 minor 1-b3-5 m
    2 diminished 2-4-b6 mb5
    b3 Augmented b3-5-7 (#5)
    4 minor 4-b6-1 m
    b6 Major b6-1-b3 (no symbol usually used)
    7 diminished 7-2-4 mb5

If we then explore the melodic ascending as a source of chords (the so-called Jazz minor) we get a change in where each chord type occurs but otherwise maintain the same proportions as the harmonic minor
    1 minor 1-b3-5 m
    2 minor 2-4-6 m
    b3 Augmented b3-5-7 (#5)
    4 Major 4-6-1 (no symbol usually used)
    6 diminished 6-1-b3 mb5
    7 diminished 7-2-4 mb5

@pumpthrust: love the ii-V-I modulating so that I becomes ii in the following bar - Michael Franks Brazil is my favourite of this progression
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bandcoach For This Useful Post:

Thread Information