A question about scales

Laocorn

Now I have no formal education on music theory or anything, but I understand some basics about scales & things.
Now this beat I'm making, I'm stuck on something. I'm doing this beat in D flat dorian scale, but at some point I have the bassline using a note (F) that's not in the scale. But it sounds good (to me at least), and none of the other notes in the scale seem to fit with this section. But it's not in the scale... would it be actually ok to use this, or if I end up showing to people they would notice it's off key?

Now I have no formal education on music theory or anything, but I understand some basics about scales & things.
Now this beat I'm making, I'm stuck on something. I'm doing this beat in D flat dorian scale, but at some point I have the bassline using a note (F) that's not in the scale. But it sounds good (to me at least), and none of the other notes in the scale seem to fit with this section. But it's not in the scale... would it be actually ok to use this, or if I end up showing to people they would notice it's off key?

if it sounds good, it's good. if it sounds off, its probably out of key.

I'd take a break from listening to it for a few days, and listen to it with a fresh set of ears to see if you can notice any notes that sound wonky :cool:

or feel free to post it or PM me and I can check it out with an honest take :)

I think F Flat is part of D Flat Dorian though - but I'm not well educated in music theory

Last edited:
Like Charade said, if it sounds good, it is. Don't let diatonic tones trap you. Too many folks look at theory as a set of rules rather than simply language.

That F is the major 3rd and should brighten up the line for that split second.

Often when folks step out of key, they don't lean on those notes for long and don't play them on strong beats. But again, if it sounds good, it is.

Hi Laocorn,

The Db dorian would be the same as Cb major (Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb), which would enharmonically be the same a B major (B C# D# E F# G# A#).

Let's look at it as B major (Cb can be a little janky when discussing theory).

Here are the scale degrees of a B major scale:

B C# D# E F# G# A#

One way to look at the F is that it is the blues note or diminished 5th (b5) of the B scale.

1..2....3..4.b5.5...6....7
B C# D# E F F# G# A#

You could also be doing a little modal interchange to a major tonality from C# dorian (minor) to C# ionian (major)

Do you have chords over these bass notes?

How long do you stay on this note?

Is it more of a passing tone from the F# to the E?

Hoped this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep makin' them Bangers!

Sorry for the periods in the scale degrees, it wont let me space it like I want.

Last edited:
Back