Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about chord progression beginning in A# minor

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I would look at this song as in the Key of Bb minor/Db major. A# minor is not incorrect but you have to mess with all the enharmonic spelling (B# “C”, E# “F”). With Db/Bbm there are 5 flats. You are correct that the Chordify is giving incorrect chords. Mainly because the root is not always in the bass which can make the chords elusive.

The chord that seems to be the problem is the Cm chord. It’s actually an F7 but in the verse, the 5th C is in the bass (C5 Eb7 F1 A3). In a minor key, the 5 chord is minor, but in Harmonic Minor, the 5 chord is borrowed from the parallel major (Bb major) making it a major triad or a dom7 chord. Which means the A in the chord is not diatonic to the key of Bbm/Db. Just note in the pre-chorus they sometimes walk up from the VI (Gb) to the i (Bbm) by adding the VII (Ab) in-between.

Verse: Bbm (Bb Db F), Gb (Gb Bb Db) F7 (C Eb F A)

Pre: Gb Bbm Gb Bbm Gb Bbm Ebm F7

Chorus: Gb Bbm Gb Bbm Gb Bbm Gb F7

Verse: i VI V7
    Pre: VI i VI i VI i iv V7
    Chorus: VI i VI i VI i VI V7

This is a very common chord progression. Listen to Justin Timberlake's “Cry Me A River”

Chords: i iv VI V7

It makes sense seeing how Timberland is the Music Producer/Supervisor of the show.

Hoped this cleared things up. If you have any further questions let me know.

Keep makin’ them BANGERS!

Kyle Morris

Last edited by KyleMorris; 08-25-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    This is SUPER Helpful. Thank you. I know a lot of these web sights that offer the chord progressions are nice to have but often are incorrect. You have laid this out so nicely and easy to follow. I will work on this in the next couple days and see how these chords play against the song, and now I know the basic progression for "Cry Me A River" too. Thanks. I am surprised there aren't more of these discussions on this page.

Thanks
    Yep!! That's it! Thanks Kyle. You must have listened to the song on Chordify to hear or see the problem with the Cm. It just didn't make sense or sound right. Thank you for going the extra distance and really helping me out. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Glad this helped. It's what I do for a living, helping producers out with understanding music theory.

Here's a link to a free download that helps you figure out all the major and minor triads plus some of the most popular chord progressions ever used.

You'll also get a free mini-course delivered to your inbox.

Let me know how it goes.

Keep makin' them BANGERS!

​Kyle Morris

Thread Information