• Thread starter Deleted member 349716
  • Start date
It depends. You could do either. You just need to know where to put the backbeat (snare hits) if you go with double tempo. It is called sub-dividing.

GJ

The whole "double time" scheme was more of trick for old sequencers with limited resolution. Not really needed for modern DAWs – but of course if it feels right for you, go ahead.

Say I want to produce a song at 90bpm for example. Do I actually set the tempo to 90bpm or do I do 180bpm?
I would only go double time if it simplifies something for you or you need more divisions than your sequencer can provide at the actual tempo. To expound on what krushing said, if you needed 128th notes and your sequencer only goes up to 64ths, 64ths at 180bpm would be the equivelent of 128ths at 90bpm.

And to echo what rhythmgj said, your back beat in that scenario would be on 4 & 8 instead of 2 & 4.

I subjectively like to double my bpm as it gives me more grid space to do more variable timings on my midis. It's all preference and depends on what daw your using.

Back