putting melody to chords different approach?

RhyanCrisis

so as i was looking at a video tutorial of something explaining how they put chords to melody, i didn't not completely understand everything they said as they were very general at it was more of a "do this" tutorial rather than explaination. My question is.... lets say i have a chord progressions like C major - F major....... is my melody supposed to be C,E,G while the C major is playing?.. then when it chages to F i use the notes in F major to make the melody?.. basically do i use the notes inside the chords to make the melody??

Don't quote me (that's what the coach is for), but my understanding is that your melody should be able to employ any notes within the key signature (sometimes accidentals are okay for a measure if it sounds good) scale. You don't have to stick to the notes in one chord while composing your melody because a standard chord progression will basically cover most of the notes in a given scale (in C major for example, all the notes in the scale are covered by in the i iv v progression). I'm sure more advanced theorist have better explanation, as I'm just talking about major scales.

any note can go against your chords - if it is chord tone then this part of your melody is at rest or in release mode. If it is a non-chord tone then this part of your melody is active or in tension mode.

Back