Progression Ideas?!

typhy

I've just started making beats about a month ago. I'm having trouble on which element to begin with. I know many people start with a drum pattern first and then add on instruments but I dont like doing that because I like to set the mood for the beat before I lay drums down. So I like to start with chord progressions first.. but lately it seems all i do is make 4 bar progressions, and they ALWAYS sound sad for some reason, even when I use major scales. And 4 bar progressions are getting boring to me so I'm trying out pulsating chords and arpeggio chords. But my arpeggio chords always sound like Alicia Key's song "No One".

I'm in serious need of some tips for building a basic foundation for my beats, I usually like harmonic/melodic beats. I'm really into R&B and Pop beats. I was wondering if you guys have any advice on how to start a beat harmonically. I'm tired of using a 4 chord progression.

I would suggest you start your 4 bars ok now you set the mood right then you start your drum pattern...in the fourth bar maybe make a snare roll or something, in the fifth bar you add another instrument. once you'll have your second instrument in the right key and evverything your beat will roll automatically haha ;) hope this helps a little

Try this and this as starting points: put them into any key

Also see this: http://mugglinw.ipower.com/chordmaps/genmap.htm

Some of those chords on that site are interesting.
I did not know you can flatten a chord if you wanted to.
That would add an accidental that is not in scale of whichever key you're playing in. Like the C Major scale, some of those progressions tell me to flatten one of the chords, then the flattened note will be used but it's not in the scale of C Major. Is this legal?!?! lol

Nothing says it isn't. Bach did it, Mozart did, Beethoven did it, Stravinsky did it, Harrison did it, Lennon did it, McCartney did it, why can't you???

Back