Producers are not sticking their necks out there musically

Yeah it's all about money these days.
What's even worse though is that the true artists (the people who do it for love) get S****** on, and the ones who are in it for chips get the praise. I think producers need to cut the strings off that are hanging from their backs and quit getting controlled by the industry puppet masters. And responding to sharkman: If you ain't in it with the confidence that you will sell records doin you, you won't, and then you'll be foolin' yourself. Take OutKast for example. They go completely left field with every album, and that's them. They don't try to keep up with the Joneses. OutKast is music at it's finest, creative and individualistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soul Caliber said:
Take OutKast for example. They go completely left field with every album, and that's them. They don't try to keep up with the Joneses. OutKast is music at it's finest, creative and individualistic.
All subjective. For example, to me as a guitar player, I look at that outkast video clip with the aliens (dont know the song name) where he's playing the guitar, and its a blatant attempt at trying to be Prince, and cashing in on the Prince 'air'....... except this guy has no playing ability whatsoever.. so as you can see there are many levels.

U know????

I don`t like hip hop, not a single song, I love trip hop like Massive Attack (amazing!) but never hip hop.

but I listened a band named K-OS..... WOW!!!! Now that really caught my attention.... K-OS...

Ant, 9th wonder, DJ Abilities, southern underground, eyedea they all got new production styles and techniques. But it's getting it out to the mainstream and effecting the un educated MTV ****s that don't know that hip hop is more than just a good beat. It can be a true music artform that can be respected by the masses not just teenagers that don't know what good music really is. I think it's about time for a change.

Look folks, any producer worth his or her salt should be well versed in different kinds of music. Unfortunately, the music BUSINESS, I stress BUSINESS again, has always been about providing a product to the people. So who do you blame, the people who are spending millions of dollars on Lil' John's lates crunk masterpieces, or do you blame the producers and coorporate sponsers who know that that sound (or whatever sound) is what is hot and what 's selling now?? You have to make a choice and decide what road you want to travel musically..Do you take the road of diehard underground producer/artist that does this art from the heart with no regards to making money, or do you say **** it and make music that is is POPular because it's easy to do and hopefully not drown in the sea of clone producers out there..OR do you combine the best of both worlds (Timaland for example isn't what I'd call an orthodox producer, but he knows the FORMULA and how to blend it with his own sick style). Bottom line, do what makes you happy and if you can put some dollars in your pockets without losing your souls, bang away...LONG LIVE COORPORATE SPONSORSHIP! lol, just kidding, but you get my point, peace.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/legacyent.htm

i posted a thought similar in another forum. thomas jefferson said "the more government we have, the less liberty we have." as far as i'm concerned it's the same with this corperatly run industry. it's all a game which has it's own set of rules. when you decide to post your music on websites and have a press kit. you're playing by rules that have been set since before we could tap our feet. we all know this. when you create your beat or arrangment just remember who are you making it for. Your music will be labeled just like everyone elses, and it's probably not what you're gonna want it to be. this is your passion, or purpose. this is what makes you feel like this isn't work at all, so when you finally nail that arrangement, beat, melody, or whatever and the chance for this to become the job is at hand what do you do? who is it for then?

I hate to say it but the uk has been the hotbed of music for quite a few years now the us seems content with 'rnb'.

For real hip-hop you have to look to the GLC. Now I know many people will criticise this view and I realise that their production values are not exceptional, but they are true to the spirit both lyrically and if you listen well enough, you can pick out their influences from a huge number of top hip hop artists. AND I DON'T MEAN PUFF DIDDLY DOO

Also check out the soon to be released track by the Dirty Diggers on Zebra Traffic featuring the Stickies in a pitched up vocal (not your usual).

And if you don't like what you hear, make something you do like.

Rwafish said:
I hate to say it but the uk has been the hotbed of music for quite a few years now the us seems content with 'rnb'.

For real hip-hop you have to look to the GLC. Now I know many people will criticise this view and I realise that their production values are not exceptional, but they are true to the spirit both lyrically and if you listen well enough, you can pick out their influences from a huge number of top hip hop artists. AND I DON'T MEAN PUFF DIDDLY DOO

Also check out the soon to be released track by the Dirty Diggers on Zebra Traffic featuring the Stickies in a pitched up vocal (not your usual).

And if you don't like what you hear, make something you do like.

i gotta agree with this.. a lot of really good stuff has been coming out of england.. saul williams and mike ladd had thier first releases on big dadda...

Guenon said:
Nice to know there are people here who share my musical tastes and ideals :D

Some great recommendations in this thread.

I'd like to add Amon Tobin.

i'd like to thank you for adding amon tobin :)

Back