the producers curse.. does having a producer ear change the way you listen to music?

audiomousse

I remember when i used to listen to music and love it unconditionally ..... and now it has to be good or i analyse it... I not got the greatest ear (yet) but find it a curse at times to have the producer ear, if a song is not knock out i pull it apart in my head... stop listening and think oh that's just made like that. the magic goes from it when you understand what they did but a new magic is born...... The one that says how do i make that better :victory::monkey::monkey::victory:

Last edited:
It changes the way you listen to it, as well as your tastes. IMO, anyway. That's why millions of people love Pop, but you won't find too many fans of it on this forum. Producers & musicians love to feel like they can do better than those people.

35 years on and I still do love to listen to music - I've learnt to switch off when I need to. The only thing I can't handle is bad, tone-deaf singing or out-of tune horns (brass and saxes) - I have to turn it off or switch channels when those things are thrust upon me.

When doing my own creating I go into isolation so that I don't accidentally cop someone else's ish.....

It doesn't really have an effect on my listening and enjoyment of music. I've trained myself to shut off the overly analytical part of my mind when I'm sitting back and trying to enjoy songs from my favorite artists. The only times I really analyze is when I'm listening to my own work or when I'm giving a fellow musician opinions on their own songs,

the producer-ear def changed the way i listen to music.

I used to be only into pop songs when i was young.
When i started making beats i started liking old soul music cause i wanted to have soul in my beats.
I do know what the big pop records sound like but i dont know them by name.

I don't really analyze I just look at it from the standpoint of "how did they do that" and "can I do that".

If it sounds cool and I have no idea how to I generally start looking around to find out how.

If it's something that sounds cool and I know how to get that sound I just bask in how awesome I am.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

One thing I'll definitely say it gave me a lot of respect for music and musicians.

ray j sexy can i

i cant even listen to that song because of that slowed voice in the background

whenever i hear a song that catches my attention i start to break it down in my head and listen to whats in the song rather than the final product. i guess its just a habit i got from learning synthesis and it can be distracting sometimes. sometimes i can nearly tell where some of the synths came from too.

i only the analyze music and break it down (not enjoy at the moment).... when i have been producing something the whole day or when in producer mode.

if im in produce mode, any music i hear... i break it down in my head and figure out what key was the track made in etc.......

but when im out of producer mode everything is fine. meaning when i haven't been working on projects n crap... i enjoy the music like the average listener would

Last edited:
lool, i know exactly where your coming from, but i find if your listen more to the lyrics than the beat its easier to pay attention to the entire song if that makes sense

Yeah I definetly pay more attention to detail sometimes I notice things in songs I use to love now I hate because something I didnt notice like in Dead and Gone - T.i. theres like this vox along the whole song its so annoying

Having been writing music and producing it since I was in high school has changed my taste and the way I listen to music. Sometimes I kind of have to shut my brain and ears off to enjoy an evening out at the bar.

Funny you should mention TI, because my favourite song was a TI song until I noticed some high pitched harmonization thing and that was all I heard when I played the song.

For me if im in that mode every song i hear i try to break down every section and see if i A) know what is happening in that section, and B) if i really needed to could i recreate it. Dont really break it down past that.

I was always told this by my tutors but I personally find i just enjoy better produced music a lot more than beforehand!

This does happen to me but usually only when I listen to music that I don't really like so much. When I really enjoy something I can analyze it all day but that doesnt take away from the enjoyment because GREAT MUSIC is put together in a way that the whole is greater than the sum of each part on its own.

Back