Problem with pitch bend automations effecting the entire tuning of a synth in Ableton

raincity206

So I've been having this very weird problem in Ableton 7 whenever I apply a pitch bend automation to a clip..I don't know if this is a Ableton-specific problem or just a something that happens during pitch bending in any DAW. After the pitch bend happens on my song's timeline, any subsequent notes that the pitchbent synth plays will be HORRIBLY out of tune. I noticed this most easily with synth/sub bass. Anyone else have this problem or know what could be happening? Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm not familiar with Live....but maybe its possible that for whatever reason...after your pitch bend, the global pitch isn't going back to its precise default.. so if you're like...drawing automation lines thru the track....double check and make sure after the pitch bend, you draw the line back to PRECISELY where your pitch will be back at 0..or 12:00 on the dial....however it is set up in Live....Again, I'm an FL Studio user...but I hope I could have been of some help

Hmm could be. I don't know live that well so I gotta much around with the manual and find something about global pitch. Thanks for the suggestion! didn't think of that..

Hmm could be. I don't know live that well so I gotta much around with the manual and find something about global pitch. Thanks for the suggestion! didn't think of that..

you don't have to look up "global pitch"... what he is saying is that after you did your pitch bend, you never went back to the proper "normal" (i.e., unbent) pitch.

Look at your pitch bend automation and make sure it goes back to zero after the pitch bend.

you don't have to look up "global pitch"... what he is saying is that after you did your pitch bend, you never went back to the proper "normal" (i.e., unbent) pitch.

Look at your pitch bend automation and make sure it goes back to zero after the pitch bend.

No, I did actually put the pitch bend back to zero after its over (I'm using it for a bassdrop type of thing in this context). The weird issue arises when it returns back to zero after the pitch bend and it begins playing that same synth at pitch that is a few cents off from what it was before. Essentially what I'm saying is that a pitch bend applied to a isolated clip within a track is somehow changing the pitch of the entire track long after that pitch bent clip has been played.. its weird shit man!

My bad..sorta crappy at explaining these things XD

Last edited:
Ye I get it too! To be honest, I just go back to the vst in question & just 'normalize' the pitch knob...lol! I know it's not the best solution BUT I gave up trying to figure it out, in-fact, don't waste your time & energy on it ESPECIALLY IF YOUR WORK FLOW IS EXCELLENT ON THAT TRACK. Hope that helps ;)

like others have said, did you put the pitch back to the default after the pitch bent part? also, when you're playing the notes, is the timeline marker set where the automation is?

like lets say you have a pitch bend on bar 8-10, is the marker on bar 9? so when you're playing notes, the synth is mid pitch bend, thus being out of tune? so, on bar 10, the pitch bend should be back to default, and the synth should play regular notes. see what i'm saying?

This might be obvious, but also remember that pitch bend is bipolar - it goes both to positive and negative values and the zero value (ie. no change in tuning) is in the middle. I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to mistakenly set it to either end of the range, which would naturally result it being out of tune.

Back