pitch relationship 45 - 33 rpm

JayWhite

i have a song and i want it to sound like it's being played at a slow speed.

how do i work out what the pitch difference is between 45 rpm and 33 ?

In theory, it's simple math:

33 / 45 = 0.73

So 33rpm is 73% of the speed of 44rpm, and vice versa. How this translates to the pitch control on a turntable, dunno - I'm not a dj. But if you have an audio editor such as SoundForge, it's easy enough to calculate how much longer the slower version should be, and enter those values in there...

JayWhite said:
how do i work out what the pitch difference is between 45 rpm and 33 ?

The ratio is just over 3/2 (it's really 15/11), so it'll drop the pitch by just over a fifth. If your original recording was in C, the slow version will be in F. Actually it will be just flat of F, but not as far down as E, so you'll have to do some tweaking of pitch knobs to get everything in sync perfectly.

You may be better off sampling at 45 rpm, and resampling digitally, so you have greater control over the exact pitch shift.

I have a bunch of programs with the pitch shifting feature. My favorite is called goldwave its my cheapest program. My question is does it matter which program you use to slow the pitch? do some programs have higher quality shifting than others? If so im guessing goldwave isnt the best.

I'm guessing programs use similar algorithms to change pitch. I use virtual DJ for that. On many turntables are a 45/33 RPM button and a pitch button. So slow it down to 33 and change the pitch if you wish.

Back