Panning question...

Deezel

^How do I change ths name
I should know this, but I've been alittle rusty with my FL lingo lately, but whats the most efficient way to take a mixer track and pan it equal distances to both sides? I tried stereo separation but that just fudged up my mix completely.

Bonus question:
How do I turn a regular sound with a wide soundspace to mono? (I hope that made sense.)

Last edited:
If I interpreted this right:

You should never have the same instrument on either side. They will create a false center. Change up the phase or verb of one to keep them different.
If you are talking stereo widening.
A few vsts will do it. Or a synth should have a stereo effect.
Two I know of are sausage fattener(absolutely demolishes stereo spectrum). And sylenth1 is a synth that has it.

If you're simply talking turn the knobs on your mixing panel equal distances to either side. Than try that.

Edit: and there's something in ableton called "utility" squeezes up or expands stereo imaging. All the way to mono. Throws only to left and right as well. I've never used FL but I'm sure there's something similiar

Last edited:
I should know this, but I've been alittle rusty with my FL lingo lately, but whats the most efficient way to take a mixer track and pan it equal distances to both sides? I tried stereo separation but that just fudged up my mix completely.

Bonus question:
How do I turn a regular sound with a wide soundspace to mono? (I hope that made sense.)

there is no way to do what you want to do without engaging in using M/S processing.....

find a decent plugin to do this with as even though you can create for yourself, it is a sh!tfight to do well

M/S takes you stereo signal and creates a Middle track (essentially mono by summing left and right) and then a Side track which is the difference between the left and right channels

to achieve your goal may be a case of using the Side channel as a highlight and the Middle channel as a softer background

ps you bonus question has the same answer: M/S processing but lose the Side channel

As for the mono thing, on FL you have that small knob below the panning, turn it all the way to the right to make a sound mono.
Then of course, if you instead turn it to the left, you separate the stereo more and more (until you get weird phase relations).

Thanks. Somehow all three of you helped me figure out the right plug in I was looking for.

FYI, the reason I wanted to control it through the mixer instead of just doubling the original signal was because it was three different sounds being layered into the same channel and I imagine manipulating each one of those individually would be a mightmare.

Back