NI Reaktor and midi out

There are a whole bunch of midi out modules that are pretty self explanatory, you can either route incoming midi signals to them or you can generate your own using the same gate/event type message that you use to create sequencers in Reaktor... What exactly are you having problems with?

Just make sure that you have a midi out device specified in your Midi settings.

If you're running Reaktor as a VSTi you'll have to make sure that the host you're using is allowing that specific channel to send out midi messages and you'll also have to check that it has a midi out device selected.

Reaktor and MIDI out

I need to make it until tomorrow and i have not much time to learn it. Maybe i can download some tutorial or an example of a cc event sent to midi out ?

You're not going to get an example and tutorial for every little thing you can do in Reaktor because all the modules explain what they do... I'd try to help you out, but I don't run Reaktor here at work.

The only advice I can give you is to hover over the modules with context sensitive help enabled and read what it tells you. The explanations are pretty self explanatory. I promise your brain won't explode... its tiny amounts of text.

If you're a Reaktor/Synthesis newbie and this is for some kind of assignment you're just going to have to learn how it works. In that case good luck. Its not really that hard though... create modules... drag virtual wires to it.

(was Hogus now: Guy Incognito)

i'm a newbie. now i'm see that i need to learn it by myself.
Can i post here couple of questions, NI forum is a bit slow . ???

Of course you can ask questions... I cant guarantee that I'll be much faster then the NI forum ;)

Coincidentally I actually ended up spending the weekend doing step sequencers in Reaktor that send mid note-out and controller events. It wasn't really that much of a hassle when I did it in cubase SX running Reaktor as a VST (It's almost as if its geared for this exact thing). But it was impossible to do in Logic without running Reaktor externally and using a loopback program like Hubis, or Midi Yoke.

I don't know exactly what it is you were looking at doing but here is the process for doing it in Cubase (I'm doing this purely from memory, so I cant guarantee 100% accuracy in my descriptions).

In Reaktor you MUST create an instrument to send your midi signal to the correct channel. Each instrument has its own midi channel. So for this experiment lets create a new empty instrument and set its Midi channel to 1. (In Reaktor 3 there is a box in the toolbar above to do this, or you can right click on the instrument and go to the MIDI tab to set this)

1. Inside this instrument Create a midi-gate event and a constant value set as 60.

2. Also create a midi-out note pitch event module.
This module will have 2 input called P (pitch input) and G (gate input)

3. Connect your midi gate to the G input and connect the constant (60) to the P input. We're doing this so the notepitch event always sends out a note of C3 no matter what key we press on our midi keyboard

4. Save this Reaktor Ensemble and Exit Reaktor (If you haven't been creating this module on the fly from your sequencer)

5. Open Cubase, create a new project with a couple of midi channels and create a new VST instance of Reaktor and load your ensemble.

6. Create another VST instance with some other test instrument... Try the A1 for instance

7. Ok... assign your topmost midi channel in cubase. Set your midi in to: All Inputs.... Set your midi out to: Reaktor... Create a new bit of track sequence with a couple of random notes... make sure its a varation, because when we want to run the test we want to make sure its running through reaktor and only sending note pitches of C3.
Make sure that the channel is is set to: 1 or ANY

8. Assign the midi channel below the topmost one. Set the midi in to: Reaktor.... set the midi out to: Your A1 synth. or whatever test VST you've selected.
Make sure that the channel is set to: 1 or ANY

Ok... now to see if it all works... Remember only the top channel should have any data in....

Now in theory when you hit play in Cubase it should play the patch on the A1 at a notepitch of C3, for every note played on the topmost channel

Last edited:
OK... now for some random notes on how Cubase SX and Reaktor integrates.

When you set the midi channel number on a midi track in Cubase and you take midi data from a VST like reaktor it forces all that data out at that channel number to the specified midi out.

For example.

Lets say you have 3 modules set up in Reaktor that is sending midi data.
Module A (MIDI channel 2)
Module B (MIDI Channel 3)
Module D (MIDI Channel 5)

And you set up a midi track in cubase and set its channel no to channel 7)
All the midi data from module A B and C will be taken, regardless of channel number, conglomerated and sent out as channel 7 data.

Conclusion:
Setting a channel number in Cubase conglomerates rather than filters data.

If you want your midi channel to only play channel 3 data on a VST plugin for example... you HAVE to set the midi track's mid channel to: ANY... This keeps all the midi channel data nicely seperated from one another. It is then the job of the "VST instrument" to only play for data arriving on certain channels.

It is NOT the job of the midi channel to push out data at the correct channel number by default, although you 'can set up Transformer events to do this.

Ok since we have this topic open let me blab on some more about my weekend adventures. I'm only going to try and keep this topic on things I've already done rather than future plans, because discussing future plans always tends to take my drive away to actually do the things I want ;)

My goal over the last two weeks was to set up a "live electronic production system". I chose Reaktor because of its flexibility and because I could send pitch data between various modules.. That meant I could set a root note in my bass module and let all my other sequencer modules operate relative to this root note... That means that changing the bass root note would automatically allow everything else to alter around it.
(Not 100% musically correct, but its much easier to work with in a live set than risking the chance that everything will suddenly be 'off' with regards to the root)

Initially I set up all my sequencers in Reaktor... BUT, that meant that nothing was being processed through effect units yet and I wanted a good mastering effect unit to run on-top of everything to give it all a bit of a finishing.

There was a problem however. A 1.5Ghz Athlon XP didn't have enough processing power. With all the wiring and samplers together and running as a VST under Cubase the system was running at about 70% Raw... and maxing out at 99-100% with send effects and iZotope running on top (Btw iZotope is hardly the most effecient mastering VST in retrospect)

Anyway... I had a theory on why Reaktor was pulling so much processing power... It takes a whole load of Audio signals rather than Event signals for its sampler units.

Audio inputs run at the sampling rate (in my case 48000Hz), even when you convert from event signals you're still doing a whole heap of conversions at 48Khz.

Event Signals run at a default rate of 400Hz. which is a good 120 times faster than my sampling rate.

So I decided to create only sequencer instruments in Reaktor using only Event tables to store data rather than Audio tables push it out as midi and then use Battery & Kontakt as my samplers.

It was a whole lot of work.. but it paid of... I reduced my calculation overhead down to 4%, from what I estimated was around 30%. I decided to dump iZotope for live production... although it does sound great, but the quality wouldn't really push through on anything other than good monitors anyway.

I'm now just sticking with Ultrafunk's Reverb unit for a bit of finalising Reverb, You can add a nice bit of stereo widening & reverb depth by just using a very small room and low diffusion.
Almost the same kind of effect you'd get by using iZotope's verb & stereo widening but using less than 5% of my processor rather than about 30%. (Actually I like the sound better than the iZotope deal... the sound is better centered and Ultrafunk is the only software reverb I've found that can be set to not build up that anoying noisy feedback)

So the end I got it all down to running at under 50%, and whats more I found that Kontakt's claims are true.. When you aren't triggering a sound through one of its instruments it doesn't take up any of your processor load. So it all hovers nicely between the 30 & 50% mark even when I set the Cubase SX priority to "Realtime" and my latency down to 7 or 10ms.

Hi
Just seen this thread,
I need to output MIDI from Reaktor in Cubase SX.
Cant get it working.
I have my MIDI out setup, but not sure how to route the controller output from Reaktor to the MIDI out.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
A.

Back