a new method for learning new styles...

Lodger

Certified Funk Master
hey, all-

i was hanging out not too long ago, fooling around with some software a friend had loaned me when i got an idea that has really helped me learn a good bit about composition- the idea was finding new uses for otherwise useless stuff, namely using the samples from EJay to learn patterns for your own stuff. This is what i do-

depending on the genre i am using, I'll load up that version of ejay and choose a random drum/synth loop. I then load the loop and export a single bar as a whole song. I then take this sample and recycle or zero-X it. using the patterns, i can export this into a program so i can learn the pattern or steal the sounds of the individual drum hits :) once i have this done, i do my best to mimic this wav using software and equipment that i have at my disposal

considering te nember of ejay versions availible, there are many many new posible combinations and methods/styles that can be developed. I find that applying what i learn by doing this really hepls build an evolving and progressively different sort of sound. Im anxious to see if anyone else has tips for learning new rythyms or getting new drum hits...

~Lodger~

:victory:

-muy excellente !

it's called "reverse engineering" and it a solid technique that I definitely recommend.

my next project is I am going to take a popular trance song, export as many rythms and patterns out of it, deconstruct them, and reconstruct using a Reason synth. . . .just for schits and giggles.

. . . mostly schits, though

You could also get some loops of the style your trying out(probably want them to be preety minimal so u can add alot to it and not get crowded).. and build a song around them.. then remove them and add to the rest of the song till it sounds complete.. Alot of people work that way regardless of if they know the style.. it just kind of gets you going quicker and stops your writers block

Back