Need serious help with this chord progression!!!

itsosman

So I found this chord progression I want to use on a beat but I have no idea what it means. Im pretty good at making chord progressions but I usually use IV iii I format with roman numerals. I know the key signatures but I dont udnerstand which chord it is for that key, for example, if the it says the first chord is C is it I II IV etc? all?

(first four chords of 1st line receive 4 beats each, next six chords receive 2 beats each.

C F/A C F/A C/G Am C/G Am F D G

C F/A C F/A C/G F C/G G C

Thanks for your help.

Depends what key you're in...

If you're in C Major... then your IV - iii - I chord progression would be F/Em/C

Since F is the 4th note in the C Major scale, E is the 3rd note, and C, obviously is the 1st note of C Major scale.

I don't know what scale you're using off the top of my head...but figure out what scale you're in...and just put the numbers together from there like I explained above...
I = first note
II = second note
iii = 3rd note
IV = 4th note.........etc,etc.

Then when you look at the progression thru the roman numerals, you know which chord it corresponds with.

Last edited:
So I found this chord progression I want to use on a beat but I have no idea what it means. Im pretty good at making chord progressions but I usually use IV iii I format with roman numerals. I know the key signatures but I dont udnerstand which chord it is for that key, for example, if the it says the first chord is C is it I II IV etc? all?

(first four chords of 1st line receive 4 beats each, next six chords receive 2 beats each.

Thanks for your help.

OK, let's all this C major for simplicity's sake (it starts and end on c major so that is as good a reason as any to call it that)

I /// | IV/6 /// | I /// | IV/6 /// | I/5 / vi / | I/5 / vi / | IV / II / | V /// |

I /// | IV/6 /// | I /// | IV/6 /// | I/5 /// | V /// | I /// ||

For slash bass chords we use the actual scale degree to name the bass note to be played. Because D major is the second last chord on the 1st line, we show it as upper case II or we could show it as V-of-V, as that is how it is actually functioning, as a borrowed chord from G Major.

Figured it was C Major, but that D Major chord was throwing me off lol Makes sense tho that its a borrowed chord from G Major...I'm not that far yet to utilize that set of skills lol

V of V is known as the secondary dominant, and that augmented fourth, which ends up the third of the second, has a real nice pull up to the dominant. You could try that in first inversion as well, where the F# is in the bass (in C). Not to write your music for you, but there is potential for a chromatic progression in the voicing of the last three chords with F, F#, G being in the last three.

Yes, we know V-of-V is known as a secondary dominant - see this - however to make it easier to see what is going I have started using V-of-V to communicate the concept here.

Yes, the [sup]#[/sup]4 scale tone (F[sup]#[/sup]) pushes to scale tone 5 (the G) very nicely; that is the whole point of V-of-V. Some might argue for a temporary modulation to the Dominant Major scale as a result of this, however, as it quickly reverts to C major in the next chord, it is simply a decorated Perfect cadence.

The ascending chromatic line does follow to some extent but is also not able to be followed through on after reaching the temporary perfect cadence.

Back