Need Help Taking My Music Production Further

S

synja

First off I would like to say what an awesome idea onlinedj.com is. I find it amazing that somebody finally started a community for the "want to be serious at it, but dont know where to start or have the money so we will just sit and be confused crowd".

Anyway, I used rebirth 1.0 when it first came out and learned to use it well. After that i messed around with some other programs and slapped together some samples i pumped out of rebirth to make my first track. Then I decided to get a bit more complicated and i assembled my music by using the 303 synths in rebirth which i exported as loops. Since I got sick of the 303 sound, i used other programs to twist and manipulate the sounds of the 303. I collected various drum samples from the net and put them into rebirth using the modpacker. So I was left with an array of tunes and drums in cutup loops that i exported out of rebirth. Then i took the loops and stuck them in the rack in Cool Edit Pro. Once I had it done, it sounded pretty professional. I let a small label hear it and they told me I had good potential and when I told them i made it all on my pc, they were even more impressed.

So my question now is that where do I go from here? My first track not too great musically, but put together solid with a professional feel. I twisted the 303s with soo many filters, in every way possible to make it sound different from one another but i need other soft synths that are simple to use like rebirth and also produce a near professional quality sound. Right now i looked into the FS 404 in fruity loops which i think is great. Also i am learning how to use Dream Station. I use Acid, Sound Forge, Stomper, Cool Edit Pro, Fruity, Rebirth for my stuff now. I have no real hardware because i dont have money to spend on it nor do i have any idea what to buy. If i do buy anything, it would be a synth to produce the "horns" in all the hard house and hard trance songs. For example ill use a popular song that everyone might know, the horns in Jonah - SSssshh Be Quite or every Johnny Vicious or Plasmic Honey track. The FS404 from FruityLoops comes close but not close enough to the sound. Is there anyother softsynth that does? Also I need to create effects like wind and air effects. Is there a program that does this? Mainly I need a list of soft synth programs that has a graphical interface (like a keyboard on the screen like rebirth) that will allow me to program my notes to create the tunes. And the synths in the program cant be 303s because im sick of them. I need something like rebirth except you would replace the 303s with a huge bank of synhts except just 303s.

Thanks in advance,

synja

Welcome to the board!
Now:
Propellerheads, who made ReBirth is coming out with something new. "Reason" I think I'll buy it when it gets out. You should take a look at their website:
http://www.propellerheads.se

In Reason you should have all you can ever need, samplers, synths, drums and effects.
Also you can "turn around" the graphical interface so that the "back" of the devices will show.
Then, you can rout wires between the devices just like with the old analog synthesisers.

ManoOne! Is it out soon? Haven't had time to check.

I, myself, am using buzz. It's a free program, but you won't make wonderfull sounds the first few weeks, it takes some time.

[Edited by Dj Chriss on 10-09-2000 at 10:17 AM]

synja said:
First off I would like to say what an awesome idea onlinedj.com is. I find it amazing that somebody finally started a community for the "want to be serious at it, but dont know where to start or have the money so we will just sit and be confused crowd"

Well first let me say "thank you" for being part of it. This site is maintained for people like you and we appreciate what you just said.

As for the question you asked, I think I know what you ened to do to "take your music to the next level". You need to walk a bit away from the "graphical interfaces" and "sequencer inside the soft synth" a little bit, and learn how to write your tracks in CUBASE VST 5.

If you want to learn and if you don't have much money, my advice is to get CUBASIS VST which is a lite version of Cubase VST5 and learn how to write your notes in each track.

NOW.. something important to know is: sequencers do not generate any sound (yes it may sound silly). When you write a track in Cubase/cubasis, you select which MIDI PORT you want to send the note informations to.

A MIDI PORT can be your Sound Blaster MIDI OUT to control a hardware synthesizer (there are some really cheap second hand Yamaha CS1X which would do the job and make you forget the 303 limitations) or... this port can be a software synthesizer "bridge".

A "bridge" appears as "Gigasampler Endlesswave" or "Reality port", or "VST instrument PRO-52 port"... They are virtual MIDI connections between the sequencer and software synthesizers. They let you control the software synthesizer note by note, in a multitimbral environment (multitimbral means that you have 16 parts/channels, each channel can be an instrument, a track).

So... So far we mentionned:

. Cubase VST 5 (or cubasis VST) to sequence/control synths

The software synthesizers (which will be controlled by the sequencer and generate your sounds) I would direct you to are:

. Gigasampler (I think there is a lite version, worth checking out)

. Reality (this one is a full synthesizer on your screen, with some very ncie features, quite easy to use and fully controllable by MIDI)

If you get the full Cubase VST 5, you can also (and that would be the easiest way to setup all this) buy one or two VST instruments.

VST instruments: they are software synthesizers which run directly from within the Cubase VST program, in a solid, stable environment coombining sequencer tracks and synthesizers. My advice is to get those: PRO-52 (the complete emulation of an old school Prophet 5 synth) and a drum module (i don't remember the name of it, but you can insert drum samples and control freely from the cubase note tracks)

Also you should get a simple MIDI controller (PC200MKII Roland or MK-4902 are below 150 USD and will help you "play" the notes and preview sounds, play while you record...". It is important.

NOTE: if you choose to get a cheap CS1X Yamaha synthesizer, you won't need any software synthesizer or MIDI controller, just cubase to control it. I don't own a CS1X but I know that it is a very cost effective synth.

NOTE2: As DJ Chriss just said, there is also a future program called Reason, successor of Rebirth. I think it will be a good soft. synth too. I think it will have a built in sequencer even. Learning Cubase and sequencers in general is important I think though.

I know some would say something different and direct you to other directions... But I believe in all I said as I went through this and didn't have the money to get decent speakers for years even.

I totally agree...cubasis and a cheap synth is a good start...just remember if you choose to use a big sequencer like Cubase VST5, with VST instruments or other softs (Reality, etc,....), you'll need a computer with a good cpu and probably to add some ram...128 Mo would be a minimum.

Okay.. I just have a quick question.. what is the synth that produces the sound in all the hard trance and hard house tracks? I think they are called "horns" or something like that? Its the sound used in tracks like Jonah - Shht, Aquagen, Dj Dean - Ballanation, Kumara - Move OUt, Johnny Vicous - Ecstacy etc... This sound is very popular in the nyc club scene and are in all the tracks.. I was just interested if anybody knew which synth produced this sound.
Thanks

Cubase VST5 and some VST instruments.

Check out Reason! It is out know and you can dload the demo. Inside is a great synth named Subtractor ! I think you can definately make that Horny sound you are talking about. And all the analog sounds. Realy good analog firepower from this synth! :)

Beside learning how to sequence in Cubase or any other seq, also learn how to mix. There are great articls on that subject in the archives of various paper and online magazines.

Try http://www.futuremusic.com
http://www.emusician.com
http://www.intermusic.com

and more...

Don't say "They mix pop/rock/chart music! I do dance!"

Well mixing is mixing! Learn from all! :)
Just search...

Good luck!

Cubase VST is a good plan!

I agree with everything said above! Cubase is a MUST if your going to produce pro sounding tracks on your PC! As far as the "HORN" sounds you were mentioning....I think your going to need a hardware synthesizer! You can pick up an old KORG M1 for a couple hundred bucks. This will give you all of the old "classic" dance sounds like Horns, Pianos, Organs etc..for a very cheap price! If you want something a little more up to date....you'll need to look in to some more recent keyboards, but they'll cost you a fair bit!
You can also look in to buying a sample cd. I don't do this because alot of people buy them so your sounds won't be original to you! but you can tweak them and make them sound completely different!
check out this site for reviews of cds
http://www.sounduser.com/

cheers,
tweak

Back