Need help with some chords.

Time stretching kind of kills the message though (and some of them aren't quite right sure I heard a iv in the intro ;))

C, G, Am, F ;) aka I-V-vi-IV

Axis of Awesome - Four chords (38 songs)

Last edited:
if you look in a composition manual you find the following general rules that u can always follow and it work on every key of course
Chord leading reference:

these chords... Lead to these chords
I >>> lead to >>> Any chords

ii >>> lead to >>> IV, V, vii°

iii >>> lead to >>> ii, IV, vi

IV >>> lead to >>> I, iii, V,vii°

V >>> lead to >>> I

vi >>> lead to >>> ii, IV, V, I

vii° >>> lead to >>> I, iii

a lot of progressions follow this table...

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you guys misunderstood what i said but its all good
i was just trying to say all of my voicings and chords i found from just messing around on the keyboard not look at tutorials and what not

I guess I'm just missing a basic understanding of how to read the formulas (all the following is in the C major scale). what does the lowercase i stand for in i-bIII-IV-bVI/bVII?... using your method how would you write out CEG-EGC-BbDF-ACF (my translation of I-bIII-bVII-IV)?... Does I5 just mean CG? what does I6 mean? Does I7 translate to CEGBb? and why is that chord resolved by the F chord if It's in the key of C?

I hope thats not too many questions... I really appreciate your help

I guess I'm just missing a basic understanding of how to read the formulas (all the following is in the C major scale). what does the lowercase i stand for in i-bIII-IV-bVI/bVII?... using your method how would you write out CEG-EGC-BbDF-ACF (my translation of I-bIII-bVII-IV)?... Does I5 just mean CG? what does I6 mean? Does I7 translate to CEGBb? and why is that chord resolved by the F chord if It's in the key of C?

I hope thats not too many questions... I really appreciate your help

1)
Upper case Roman numerals for chords with a major third and some form of 5th (Perfect, augmented (#5), diminished(b5)).
Lower case Roman numerals for chords with a minor 3rd and some form of 5th (Perfect, augmented (#5), diminished(b5)).

2)
So, i-bIII-IV-bVI-bVII with C as it tonic note (the 1 note) becomes:

Cminor (CEbG) - Eb (EbGBb) - F (FAC) - Ab (AbCEb) - Bb (BbDF)

3)
How would you write out CEG-EGC-BbDF-ACF (my translation of I-bIII-bVII-IV)

Should be rendered as

I - I/3 - bVII - IV/3

Note that /3 means "with the 3rd of the chord in the bass"

4)
Does I5 just mean CG?

Yep, a power chord

5)
What does I6 mean?

I6 means the same thing as I/3, i.e. the 3rd of the chord is in the bass. In figured bass, the 6 is short for 6/3 meaning that the chord is built with scale tone intervals of a 3rd and a 6th above the given bass note. When we decipher this we come back to a chord in first inversion : EGC

6)
Does I7 translate to CEGBb?

No: It translates to CEGB.

It would need to be Ib7 to be CEGBb!

7)
And why is that chord resolved by the F chord if It's in the key of C?

B - C : Semi-tone movement upwards
G - A : Tone movement upwards
E - F : Semi-tone movement upwards
C - F : 5th downwards

The parallel perfect 5ths moving a semi-tone provide a strong resolution whilst the downward movement from the C to the F clinch the resolution. G moving to A completes the chord.

Back