The musical curse.

JaxBeats

Is it just me? but in a world of Robotic people and mundane lifestyles, it seems like there just isn't a place for the ultra creative..

Now let me say that i started "making beats" about 8 months ago. I had a regular job. At one time, about 4 months into producing, I had 2 jobs.. But as I worked more in the job environment of the world, my creative edge was slowly dying (at least it felt that way). Not enough time to produce, enjoy, or do what I love.. (music was taking over)

Now let me also say that I'm 20 years old. Went to the art institute for a couple months, dropped out due to useless teachings... Of course, bills start to hit... A car note and phone bill is enough for me to shoot myself. For some, I know thats easy money, but for me its the lingering boredom of hours upon hours of wasted time for money that will be spent in less than 2 weeks... Am I lazy? Maybe I just don't care about material things? Maybe I'm just the conceptual starving artist, that only cares about his Art. I guess I'll end up where ever the wind takes me in those regards...

At the end of the day, I guess my question to anyone who reads this is how do you live with Art as your only focus, without means to take care of yourself? And what type of Job are the producers of 2013 going to get? ...

Sure it may not make sense to most. But had to, signing out.

Is it just me? but in a world of Robotic people and mundane lifestyles, it seems like there just isn't a place for the ultra creative..

Now let me say that i started "making beats" about 8 months ago. I had a regular job. At one time, about 4 months into producing, I had 2 jobs.. But as I worked more in the job environment of the world, my creative edge was slowly dying (at least it felt that way). Not enough time to produce, enjoy, or do what I love.. (music was taking over)

Now let me also say that I'm 20 years old. Went to the art institute for a couple months, dropped out due to useless teachings... Of course, bills start to hit... A car note and phone bill is enough for me to shoot myself. For some, I know thats easy money, but for me its the lingering boredom of hours upon hours of wasted time for money that will be spent in less than 2 weeks... Am I lazy? Maybe I just don't care about material things? Maybe I'm just the conceptual starving artist, that only cares about his Art. I guess I'll end up where ever the wind takes me in those regards...

At the end of the day, I guess my question to anyone who reads this is how do you live with Art as your only focus, without means to take care of yourself? And what type of Job are the producers of 2013 going to get? ...

Sure it may not make sense to most. But had to, signing out.

All I get from the above self-pitying rant is that you do not have the one key aspect in your personality that makes the difference between success and failure at anything - stick-at-it-ness or perseverance or persistence.

Some might call it the "Right here, right now" syndrome of modern youth - can't wait for anything and you have to have new novelties every day or you will become bored with your existence. Ennui is a luxury for the idle rich; not a malady for feckless youth.

You whine about not enjoying the job(s) you work at because it is mindless and dulls your creative edge - maybe it is not your creative edge that is dulled but your desire to work at something to be a success - maybe it just enervates you, leaving you physically and/or mentally drained, unable to connect with the other aspects of your life.

And then you complain that you dropped out of the art institute because of "useless" teachings - how do you, as a neophyte, a tyro, a novitiate, a novice, a beginner, know that these teachings are/were useless?

There is no way that you can assert because they were dumb or that they did not challenge me - you are not the teacher, the master, you are the novice, the apprentice: sometimes you do drudge work to learn how to create great works.

You may believe the exercises and activities you were asked to undertake (and complete) to have been beneath you, but until you understand where you have come from in terms of the basis of creation (the historical and theoretical underpinnings), creating novel and exciting works is more miss than hit....

Artists throughout history have struggled to make money to feed, clothe and house themselves and their families - most have held a day job to make "real' money whilst using their spare time to pursue their artistic endeavours.

In the time of royal patronage, you had a job for as long as you satisfied your prince or duke or earl - for some men and women this was their entire creative lives, for others it was for as little as a year or less - their success in the job was in pleasing others, not themselves - Mozart was notorious for being fired from position after position because he refused to compromise. It did not stop others from employing him, but in the end he was forced to live in rented accommodations towards the end of his life, as he could no longer secure employment in royal service.

Charles Ives sold insurance, first as a salesman for a firm and later as the principal in his own firm. he did not begrudge himself the need to make money to survive, rather he saw it as the most noble of pursuits that he could engage in - his art was not secondary but a cohabitant in his day-to-day life.

In short; man up and realise that the world does not owe you a living; you owe it to yourself and the world to make a success of yourself by pursuing both your art and providing for your needs.....

Last edited:
I feel like you giving up on life cause your days and music isnt going the way you want and depression is growing. Im 21 in the same position just network and go into a internship that gives pay express that music love to your family if they let you stay get a career in music bro. Dont see why you dropped relearning simple music lesson does help

Back