Music Theory Baby Steps

KlearVision

For The Love
I've been having trouble developing melodies for awhile in particular breakdowns. Did some research to try to improve and stumbled across music theory. before had never even heard of it lol I don't know many ppl who do anything in music. but im wondering are their sum main aspects of it I should focus on and others I should skim. if not I guess ill just quit trying to take shortcuts and read all of it haha

Music Theory is something you should actually study, not just something you skim through! haha you should learn at least 1st species, 2nd species, scales, and partials. All of that and chords should help you out.

Try this..
Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory | Rent 9781592574377 | 1592574378

A good baby step is to try and build your personal musical projects around each of the concepts covered..... so if they have a chapter on scales and they use C# major as the example...simple build a beat or song based on C# major scale..... spend a few days just tooling with C# major...write a verse with an ascending C# major arpeggio...then elaborate on it, write a chorus with a descending C# Major Arpeggio...then once you've explored a basic concept like that..move onto other scales...fully explore each of those...

By simply "marinating" in these concepts you will slowly and naturally become more musical...... DOn't get ahead of yourself...really just sit with each idea and explore the boundaries of each simple idea....when you start hitting the boundary of a concept..then move forward.
By being methodical in your exploration of music..you will also learn how to learn. You will start to associate the sounds you hear with the musical theory you have learned..

We are all musical...our thoughts and emotions respond to the language of sound and movement....you will be surprised at how much there is to explore with a single scale and a piano sound alone

Back