Murtagh Supersaws?

Nexosaur

Multi-Genre Maker
Murtagh makes the best supersaws and supersaw basses I have ever heard for electro music. They sound distorted and compressed to hell and back, but yet they're so clean and good. I can't figure out how to do it, and I've tried searching, but I haven't found anyone who explained it decently.

This drop is a good example of the supersaw, and the below is a good example of the bass:

Can you guys give me some tips?

That is a nice drop. The thing is, most of it is the mid bass doing work with the highs. I'm actually making an in-depth supersaw tutorial on my YouTube channel and I'll upload it at some point, but the gist of the sound (from the bottom up):
Sub, clean.
Saw Wave at same octave as sub with unison (tightly detuned, until it sounds raw) and stereo EQ sub frequency out from this sound. This is the body of the sound and should be the loudest. Use a fuck ton of distortion on this.
Clean Saw one octave above sub
White noise with distortion.

That's about it off the top of my head but there are probably some smaller details you can work out. Sorry this is four years late :D

Oh boy, I remember trying to make supersaws (I remember trying to recreate the Seven Lions signature sound). The most important thing is actually the bass in this case - that hard bass saw is carrying a lot of the sound in the track above. Then I can hear that high pitched saw (and a bit of square) lead that carries the lead melody. Finally in between in just a regular set of layered saws.

Basically the more supersaws you make, the more nuances you will figure out and eventually they'll come out cleaner and cleaner. The most important thing is knowing how to make a decent sounding one in the first place. And I'm gonna say again, the bass is actually what makes it sound so hard hitting - figuring out a nice bass sound will make or break your sound. In the track above a lot of is coming from the bass. Also, put the track through an EQ to see how he crafted the individual layers, that might help a lot too. You could probably isolate the bass too and see whether or not I'm correct - if the bass is the most defining characteristic in this particular supersaw.

lol people start replying 4 years late xD yeah thats true, but typically the bass is always the defining factor in a supersaw. its just a bunch of synth layers, the bass is what gives it flavor

Back